NHL Trade: Canucks Trade Weise To Canadiens For Diaz
- Updated: February 3, 2014
The Montreal Canadiens have traded defenseman Raphael Diaz to the Vancouver Canucks for right winger Dale Weise.
The 28-year old Diaz was undrafted. He carries a $1.225 million salary cap hit and will be a UFA at the end of the season.
The 25-year old Weise was drafted 111th overall in the 4th round of the 2008 draft by the Rangers. He carries a $750,000 salary cap hit and will be a RFA at the end of the season.
Thoughts from twitter:
- All Habs: “Raphael Diaz was a darling of the MTL media and hence overvalued locally but would have rather seen him dealt for a pick or prospect.”
- Ben Kuzma: “No more Torts out of sorts with Weise. Fourth-liner dealt to #Canadiens for blueliner Diaz, a pending UFA, as #Canucks try to mend back end.”
- Eric Engels: “Completely irrelevant trade for habs and canucks, but worst news ever for yannick weber, who may now lose his job again to diaz”
- David Pagnotta: “Didn’t sound like contract talks were getting anywhere with Habs/Diaz… MTL ships him to VAN for RW Dale Weise”
- L.A. Lariviere: “Habs acquiring Weise suggests they want to add more toughness to the roster. I guess yesterday’s game factored-in… RE: Gallagher,”
- Eric Daoust: “In terms of trade value Canucks get better end of deal with Diaz. Habs traded an extra asset to fill a need but didn’t get great value.”
- Renaud Lavoie: “Raphael Diaz will help the Canucks. Verry good at moving the puck. Great attitude. Good skater. Needs to use his shot more.”
- Jim Matheson: “diaz is good PP guy and puck mover. canucks need both from back-end. nice trade. as for habs, wiese is travis moen type.”