Afternoon Rumors I: Scouting Sabres-Canes, Edler, Markov, Gionta and the Panthers
- Updated: February 26, 2014
- David Pagnotta: There were 23 teams that had scouts at last night’s Sabres – Hurricanes game. Mike Harrington: Teams that didn’t have scouts at the Sabres – Hurricanes game: Panthers, Rangers, Islanders, Ducks, Coyotes and Flames.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: The Wild could offer Martin Brodeur more playing time if he’d waive his no-trade clause. His two kids are playing at Shattuck-St. Mary’s.
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks renting a player doesn’t make sense. They should look at selling roster players like Alex Edler, if he’d waive his no-trade clause. The Red Wings and Ducks inquired before the draft last year. If the Wings are still interested, a player like Gustav Nyquist in a package might interest the Canucks.
- Erik Erlendsson: The Canucks had also tried to move Alex Edler at the draft. The Lightning were link to those trade conversations.
- James Murphy of NHL.com: Canadiens Andrei Markovon contract talks.
“It’s still in progress and there’s nothing I can say right now,” Markov said of the contract talks. “I’m going to focus on my game. Whatever comes of it, then we’ll decide and see what happens. I already said that I want to stay here and I love it here. I like the organization and the fans and the city. But I can’t control it and it’s not up to me, so I’ll just try to enjoy every moment.”
The Canadiens have another pending UFA in Brian Gionta.
“I’m not sure, really,” Gionta answered when asked what he thinks may happen. “You don’t know what you’ll be approached with but like I said all along, I’m worried about helping this team win game in and game out and not worried about what happens down the road. You can worry about it all the time and it’s no different because the deadline’s coming. I’ve had to deal with expiring contracts throughout my career. It’s nothing new.”
“It’s business at the end of the day and I’ve enjoyed every bit I’ve been here,” Gionta said. “I think that Marc is doing a great job for this organization. He’s done a great job of being there for the players and finding ways to turn this organization around. He’s doing a great job.”
- Andrew Ivins of the Sun-Sentinel: Panthers defenseman Mike Weaver knows that GM Dale Tallon is looking to trade some veterans, and that he could be one of them. Weaver and Tim Thomashave been mentioned in the rumor mill.
“Being an athlete, you can’t think like that,” Weaver said after Tuesday’s morning skate at the Florida Panthers IceDen. “I don’t think anybody’s safe, but you control what you control, and have to let the pieces fall where they may.”
Tim Thomas has a no-trade clause. Brad Boyes and Marcel Goc will also get interest.
“That’s really going to have to fall into Dale’s [Tallon] hands,” Horacheck said. “I’m sure that if somebody talks to him and gives him something positive, and it will help us in the future, I’m sure he will listen.”
“I can’t go into [the deadline] thinking what’s changing and what’s not. That’s not a healthy thing to do.”