Morning Rumors II: Hope Smoke – Darren Dreger Edition: Rangers, Blues, Pens, Lightning, Leafs, Flames and Sabres

• Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “If you can acquire Callahan for Chris Stewart and a draft pick then that’s a pretty good add for St.L going into the playoffs”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “I’ve heard Pittsburgh for Callahan and the Martin St.Louis for Callahan rumour won’t go away” … “If the Rangers need to be willing to beef up the Callahan package for St.Louis”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “Nonis has repeatedly said to me that he is beyond acquiring rentals and he wants to make hockey deals to get better”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “There is a very good chance Kulemin is moved. In fact there is so much interest that he can be moved today” … “Not saying there is anything pressing, but there are a lot of teams that would like to acquire him” … “I don’t think Toronto wants to pay a third line player like Kulemin upwards of $4 million this summer” … “Kulemin is very under appreciated by Leaf fans but not by management. He is a hard player to play against:”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “Nonis knows what the asking price for Bolland is. There has been some back & forth between these two parties” … “It’s similar to what Bozak was asking for when neg. began, but he stayed because it was a good fit. Maybe Bolland does the same” … “If Bolland’s demands don’t soften and there is a quality offer on March 5th the Leafs look at it seriously”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “The Leafs also want a top 4 D, preferably a top 3, and to get that you need to give something big to acquire that”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “Toronto isn’t deep enough up front. They want to add a top 9 forward but not a rental”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “Cammalleri will be expensive to acquire.”
  • Hope Smoke: Dreger: “Prices right now aren’t cheap. For example, the asking price on Steve Ott is a 1st round pick & a top prospect”

1. Jeff

February 27, 2014 at 9:32 am

TML should see what they can get for Mason Raymond. His salary fits into any roster, and he could help some teams score. And he wont be back with TML next season.

2. I_am_I

February 27, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hard to replace Raymond and stay under the cap. Ashton or D’Amigo would work there I suppose. You’re right that he isn’t coming back but unless the return is decent they’ll keep him.

I think the Leafs keep Bolland and Kulemin for the playoffs even with the risk of them walking in the summer. I’d prefer they kept Kulemin though. I agree that he is under appreciated around here.

In a pinch they can run with Ashton, Holland and D’Amigo next year if they are feeling brave.

3. Jeff

February 27, 2014 at 10:10 am

I’m a big Kulemin fan, but i think his days are numbered in Toronto. Either now or in the summer (i’d prefer they waited till the summer, unless they get a real significant offer for him, which i think is unlikely).

I wish they could bring Komorov back right now! Hoping his team is bounced in the KHL First Round (though, i dont know that it would matter).

February 27, 2014 at 11:06 am

Yeah trade Kulemin. The Leafs are good enough defensively to trade their best defensive forward and forechecker (which wears down the opposition in their own end).

Sigh. I’d rather see Raymond or Bolland gone if they feel they need picks and prospects.

Ultimately what I really want is for the Leafs to do well in the playoffs. In order to do that they shouldn’t trade anybody unless it brings back a top 3 d man which they need more than anything.

February 27, 2014 at 2:12 pm

i wonder if there is a deal to be made with shipping Reimer for C.Stewart out of STL… maybe add Kuleman and its a deal?

6. I_am_I

February 27, 2014 at 4:33 pm

@Jeff: Kulemin is UFA in the summer so the point it moot.

@Chris: I agree. Keep Kulemin and Bolland for the playoffs. Try to resign Kulemin. Bolland is probably too expensive and Holland needs a shot in the NHL.

Leafs don’t need mid or late round picks. Early first rounders and A list prospects are always good. Don’t think there is a top 3 D around now. That has to wait until summer if they want to address it.

@hotwings: Reimer doesn’t fulfill an organizational need for St. Louis right now AFAIK. I don’t think they are starting Reimer over Halak. Also who is the backup in Toronto and are you comfortable starting them in the playoffs if necessary? Answer: Drew MacIntyre and no. IF Reimer is dealt that is a summer deal.