Morning Rumors IV: Ryan Kesler Edition: Rangers, Wings, Pens, Leafs, Oilers and Jackets
- Updated: 02/28/2014
- Louis Jean: Ryan Kesler denies that he asked for a trade, but Jean stands “100% behind what I reported because it is true.”
- Elliotte Friedman: “Kesler says it is “completely false” he has asked for a trade.” Kesler added that he doesn’t want to be asked about it again, same goes for his team.
- Rob Rossi: The Penguins did make a pitch for Ryan Kesler before the Olympics. Talks involved Brandon Sutter and Derrick Pouliot. This was before Kris Letang’s situation.
- Nick Kypreos: Indication from one team was that the Canucks are asking for as many as three pieces: 1st round pick, roster player/prospect.
- Jason Brough: A reasonable return for Kesler would be a first round pick, a ‘youngish’ NHLer and good prospect.
- Nick Kypreos: The Rangers, Red Wings and Penguins are interested in Kesler. Offers are starting to come in. Kypreos is leaning towards seeing Kesler dealt by Wednesday.
- MyNHLTradeRumors: Elliotte Friedman said on the Fan 590 that the Oilers and Rangers could be interested in Kesler. Later adds that the Penguins could be a potential interested team. The Penguins have a cap situation that they would have to deal with.
- Darren Dreger: The Maple Leafs and Canucks haven’t talked about a Kesler trade. The Leafs have some interest. Back in 2006, it was Nonis who matched the offer sheet the Flyers signed Kesler too.
- TSN Insider Trading: Darren Dreger:
There has to have been some level of dialogue between Ryan Kesler and the Vancouver Canucks, or the Canucks telling Kesler that they need to improve, they need to get younger, they need to add a bit more offensive punch. They’re going to start sifting some names out there to rival teams and his name is going to be among them.
Because here’s what I know. I know that teams were contacted as far back as a month ago to say ‘have a look at our roster. If there is a member of this organization that you want to take a run at then we’re listening, we’re open for business.’ And that includes Ryan Kesler.
Dreger on if a deal can be done by next week.
It’s a complicated deal because Kesler is a valuable asset of the Vancouver Canucks. He’s got a contract that makes a lot of sense. Financially, he is sound. He is a bargain, frankly, as long as he plays up to his level of potential. But is it realistic? Yes, because of the interest that will be out there. There will be interest from so many different teams, and we know as I said earlier that the Canucks have reached out.
But the Canucks need premium return to make this deal a reality and six days away from the trade deadline is not a lot of time to close on such a big deal.
- Hope Smoke: Ray Ferraro: “Kesler is not crazy about being a winger, so I would suspect Tortorella’s desire to play him there didn’t go over well” … “I can tell you one thing, he’s not going to the Rangers. Him and Vigneault didn’t have the chummiest of relationships” … “If the Leafs were interested in Kesler it would cost them Kadri for sure and someone else in that 21-25 age range”
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Friedman: “I haven’t heard specifically about the Leafs being interested in Kesler but they did have two people at the game last night” … “Nonis knows Kesler better than anybody and he doesn’t need to scout him” … “The thing is, has Kesler given a blanket agreement to go anywhere or is he willing to only go to certain places” … “Gillis is getting a lot of calls right now. I saw him at the game last night & I got the impression he’s very busy” … “I think there are a lot of teams that would be interested in Kesler, but a big question is whether he’s healthy right now” … “If you’re Edmonton though, it doesn’t matter if he’s healthy right now because you’re looking for him to help you in yrs to come” … “There are a lot of reasons why Edm is interested in Kesler” … “They have a #1 C in RNH, but it’s pretty clear that Gagner won’t be long for Edm & they don’t have a lot of depth at C” … “Edm is a team that is really easy to play against and they’re trying to change that and Kesler isn’t easy to play against”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “I can say this, when talking to people around the NHL they’ve indicated that Kesler has let it be known which teams he’ll go to” … “Many media in Sochi that were around Kesler said they heard Kesler say he wanted to be traded and I’ve talked to them” … “A Kadri for Kesler trade does not make sense in a one for one” … “Van had interest in Kadri during the Luongo talks. I’ve never heard that the Leafs got down to brass tax on talk for Kesler” … “I heard Columbus and Detroit have contacted and had talks for Kesler” … “The Leafs haven’t had talks about Kesler but I’ve heard that is a player they’d be interested in”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “If Kesler comes to Toronto he’s still a #2. Bozak would remain on the top line” … “There is no way the owner of the Canucks wants to see Kelser have success on a national basis in Toronto” … “That’s what ultimately derailed the Luongo to TO deal thirty minutes before the deadline last year”
- Corey Pronman: “With Kesler you pretty much get the top UFA quality player w/o handing out massive term into their mid 30s. That’s going to cost.”