Afternoon Rumors I: Sharks, Lightning, Rangers, Canucks, Penguins, Avalanche and Canadiens
- Updated: March 2, 2014
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: Sharks Dan Boyle on the rumor mill.
“No, just because your name’s not out there, that doesn’t mean you’re not going, and vise versa — just because it is doesn’t mean you are going,” said defenseman Dan Boyle. “You just deal with it. It does effect everybody to a certain degree, but you try to not let it.”
Boyle has a limited no-trade clause and would like to stay in San Jose. Boyle is still looking for a multi-year deal, with the Sharks preferring a one-year deal. GM Doug Wilson said he’s not moving young guys like Tomas Hertl or Micro Mueller.
“Are we moving our first-round pick? No,” Wilson said. “We’re in the phase where, yes, we’re trying to win. Are we going to use our young assets when we’re two-thirds of the way through a reset and refresh? Unlikely. I never say never, but unlikely.”
- Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times: If the Lightning are considering sending to Martin St. Louis to the Rangers for Ryan Callahan, the Rangers are going to have to include more. Cristodero wonders what incentive that GM Steve Yzerman has to trade him right now though. Would St. Louis allow the Lightning to talk to more teams than just the Rangers?
- Bob McKenzie: “I don’t believe for a moment this decision to start Lack is related to any imminent Luongo trade possibility. I also can’t imagine Luongo has any burning desire to remain in VAN any longer than he has to but we’ve been down that road before, eh?”
- Jim Matheson: The Canucks may like Beau Bennett more in a Ryan Kesler deal than Brandon Sutter.
- Farhan Lalji: Canucks GM Mike Gillis said that he didn’t trade Alex Edler before his no-trade clause kicked in because he didn’t want future free agents not to trust the organization. Lalji does point out, “what does the Luongo situation do?”
- Adrian Dater: Dater notes the Avalanche are not interested in Tyler Myers.
- Dave Stubbs: Wouldn’t be surprised if Andrei Markov signs by Wednesday.