Afternoon Rumors I: Kesler, Edler, Luongo, Coyotes, Waivers, Callahan, McQuaid, Robidas and Gionta
- Updated: March 4, 2014
- Brian Lawton: Lawton says not to be surprised if Ryan Kesler ends up with the Blackhawks in a three way deal. There is a lot going on behind the scenes on this one.
- David Pagnotta: The Canucks have been telling some teams that Alex Edler is no longer available to them. Teams are still poking around. It would take a big offer to get him. Edler has a no-trade clause. Pagnotta doesn’t know if a list has been submitted. Some of the teams there were told he is not available was due to the lack assets that, that organization has.
- Jimmy Murphy: Told that trade talks involving Roberto Luongo and the Capitals are heating up. One NHL executive on the Capitals and Luongo, “Caps are desperate. Wouldn’t surprise me.”
- James Mirtle: Mirtle is hearing that the Coyotes are up to something. Coyotes wanting to make a playoff push.
- Bob McKenzie: On waivers: Trevor Smith (TOR), Jake Dowell (MIN), Corey Potter (EDM), Joe Corvo and Cory Conacher (OTT), Derek Smith (CGY), Scott Gomez and Scott Clemmensen (FLA).
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: “I wouldn’t be surprised if at 3 tomorrow we see deals completed and the NHL shuts them down because the money doesn’t work”
- Steve Zipay: “Hearing it’s not only $$$ that’s separating NYR and Callahan, but no-trade/no-move issue. Of course, that’s bargaining chip for both sides”
- Joe Haggerty: The Bruins will know more about the extent of Adam McQuaid’s injury by the end of the week.
- Jimmy Murphy: The Bruins are one of the teams interested in Stars Stephane Robidas. One NHL executive said it would “cost definitely a 3rd rd pick maybe a 2nd”.
- David Pagnotta: There is a report that Canadiens have offered Brian Gionta a contract extension. Not true, talks should start after the trade deadline.