Trade Deadline Fallout I: Callahan, Kesler, Brodeur, Vanek, Cammalleri, Canucks, Leafs, Ducks and Flyers
- Updated: March 6, 2014
- Pierre LeBrun: Told that the Sharks were well down the road on Ryan Callahan trade talks with the Rangers. Darren Dreger: Both the Sharks and Blue Jackets were plan B options if a trade with the Lightning didn’t go through.
- David Alter: Canucks GM Mike Gillis doesn’t flat out deny that ownership wasn’t involved when asked about Ryan Kesler and other moves.
- David Pagnotta: The Canucks had multiple offers for Kesler, but it sounds like they may have changed their mind on the parameters part way through discussions, wanting more NHL level players. Fully expect Kesler to be traded this offseason.
- Tom Gulitti: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello basically refused to talk about Martin Brodeur. Said the idea that Brodeur could be traded somewhere was media created.
- Pierre LeBrun: Leafs were among the teams that were kicking tires on Thomas Vanek.
- Rob Longley: Leafs GM Dave Nonis said that any deal they could have made today would have hurt the team long-term.
- Eric Stephens: Thomas Vanek wasn’t viewed as a Ducks “type” of player. They want to play a fast and hard game.
- Eric Stephens: “Hard to figure that Ducks couldn’t beat Habs price for Vanek. Still think Kesler was their real target and he doesn’t move at all.”
- Helene Elliott: The Ducks were in talks with teams that had the often-mentioned forwards, but couldn’t finalize anything.
- Helene Elliott: Kings GM Dean Lombardi on Marian Gaborik: “is hoping it works out so he can stay here.”
- Dave Stubbs: The Canadiens can still work on re-signing Andrei Markov. Stubbs still thinks he’ll re-sign and not test the open market.
- Sam Carchidi: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren didn’t look at adding a forward, happy with what they have.
- John Boruk: Holmgren confirms they kicked tires on Ryan Kesler. No offer was made.
- Sam Carchidi: Holmgren said that he wants to have Andrew MacDonald long-term.
- Tim Panaccio: Holmgren said that several teams called about Andrej Meszaros, but the Bruins had the most interest.
- David Pagnotta: The Flames talked about Mike Cammalleri with the Devils, Bruins, Ducks and Blue Jackets.