Trade Deadline Fallout I: Ducks, Canucks, Flames, Predators, Flyers, Wild, Caps and Leafs
- Updated: March 7, 2014
- The Fourth Period: The Ducks and Canucks had serious trade discussions about Ryan Kesler. Sources say that the Ducks offered Sami Vatenen, a first round pick and another player.
“We entertained multiple offers in multiple situations and none of them fit with our long-term vision,” Gillis told the media after the deadline. “When you’re under-performing like we are, you get calls from lots of teams about lots of players.”
The Penguins were also after Kesler. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that the Penguins were not convinced that Canucks ownership was willing to have Kesler traded a day after Roberto Luongo was traded. Talks with the Ducks could continue after the season. Canucks GM Mike Gillis is believed to be interested in Kyle Palmieri and Emerson Etem.
- The Fourth Period: The Blue Jackets, Bruins, Devils, Ducks and Penguins showed interest in Flames Mike Cammalleri, but they didn’t go higher than a third round pick.
“I’d rather take a chance on keeping him here and signing him than giving him away on a terrible deal,” Burke said in his post-deadline press conference.
- Sam Carchidi: The Predators got some calls on Shea Weber. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that he didn’t call the Predators about Weber. Weber is due a $13 million bonus on June 30th.
- Chad Graff: “For those asking why Vanek only required one second rounder and Wild gave two for Moulson, the Wild didn’t have to give up a prospect.”
- Chad Graff: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher on if Matt Moulson is just a rental: “You never know. … But this is a move to win now.”
- Wes Gilbertson: The Flames have already reached out to Mike Cammalleri’s agent about continuing contract negotiations.
- Adam Vingan: There were five teams that were interested in Martin Erat, but the Coyotes offer was the most serious.
- Hope Smoke: Leafs GM Dave Nonis on TSN Radio: “I’m not against adding guys at the deadline. I feel the best time to improve your team is in June”