Morning Hits: Gretzky, Burke, Orlov, Kings, Toffoli, Leafs, Nedved and Goloubef
- Updated: March 14, 2014
- Chris Nichols: Wayne Gretzky on the possibility of returning to the NHL: “If something wonderful came along obviously I’d be all ears, but at this point in time I’m just a fan.”
- Hope Smoke: Brian Burke on when he was started with the Maple Leafs: “I thought we would have been able to move out some of the big contracts in Toronto that we inherited quicker than we did” … “I thought it was going to take a year to a year and a half and it took almost two and a half”
- Mike Vogel: The Capitals signed Dmitry Orlov to a two-year contract extension worth $4 million. He’ll get $1.75 next year and $2.25 in 2015-16.
- Justin Duncan: The Kings are 126-1-11 in their last 138 games when leading after two periods.
- Dennis Bernstein: “Sutter needs to rethink Toffoli on LW as well. Kid competing but not finishing, what he’s up here for. Transition may be too much now.”
- Hope Smoke: Brian Burke: “I think I left Toronto with a front-office that is second to none”
- Roman Jedlicka: Petr Nedved retired from hockey yesterday.
- Aaron Portzline: The Blue Jackets send Cody Goloubef to the AHL.