Morning Rumors and Notes: Canucks, Reimer, Islanders, Sabres and Coyotes
- Updated: March 20, 2014
- Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province: Gallagher thinks that if the Canucks bring back John Tortorella and his coaching staff, Zack Kassian needs to request a trade out of Vancouver if is he reach his potential in the NHL. They may tell him that they are not going to trade him. He’s a RFA and could ignore all their contract offers, going to arbitration and put in place is way out of town. He has the talent, but is not getting the respect and opportunity from the coaching staff.
- Ben Kuzma and Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province: Recently looked at potential coaching and GM candidates if the Canucks go a different direction this offseason. Coaching Candidates: John Stevens (LA assistant coach), Kevin Dineen (National women’s team), Brad Shaw (STL associate coach), Kirk Muller (CAR head coach) and Mike Johnston (GM/coach of Portland). GM Candidates: Jason Botterill (PIT assistant GM), Laurence Gilman (VAN assistant GM), Ray Ferraro (TSN analyst), Julien BriseBois (TB assistant GM) and Wayne Gretzky.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Bernier knew his only chance to be a starting goalie was to leave LA and the same thing needs to happen with Reimer this summer”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “My understanding is the Isles need to let the NHL and the Sabres know by June 1st whether they’re giving the pick up” … “If the pick is top 2 or 3 I think the Isles keep it” … “I think the Islanders can be a playoff team next year. Last year was closer to what I believe they are than this year”
- Sarah McLellan: The Coyotes signed Greg Carey to a one-year deal, a UFA from St. Lawrence. He report to the AHL.