Morning Rumors: Sabres, Oilers, Flyers, Hurricanes, Islanders, Senators, Panthers and Leafs
- Updated: March 24, 2014
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Sabres Ted Nolan will likely be signing a three-year contract when they return from their road trip.
The Sabres may look to buy out Ville Leino.
The Oilers and Flyers are interested in college free agent Christian Folin.
Matheson could see the Islanders being interested in Cam Ward if the Hurricanes look to trade him this offseason. The Capitals could also be an option.
- Wayne Scanlan of the Ottawa Citizen: Senators Jason Spezza will be entering the last year of his contact next year, $4 million salary and $7 million cap hit.
“At this point I haven’t given any thought to it at all,” says, regarding the possibility of contract talks. “We’re so in the thick of things right now, that’s the farthest thing from my mind.”
- Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times: Ryan Callahan appears to be fitting into mold that Lightning coach Jon Cooper wants to play. GM Steve Yzerman hit the right note with Callahan’s camp by not trying to start negotiations right away. Rangers owner James Dolan said on the radio last week that Callahan had demanded a six year deal in the $6.25 to $6.5 million range. Callahan’s agent has said that because the lack of state income tax in Florida means that players can take less
- George Richards: Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos said that negotiations haven’t started with Dmitry Kulikov and denies that there is an offer on the table.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “The consensus is that Carlyle wanted the beat guys to ask him about Reimer following the Det game”