Morning Rumors: Staal’s, Skinner, Ward, Subban, Miller and Maple Leafs
- Updated: 03/25/2014
- Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes Jim Rutherford is expected to step down as the teams general manager after the season. He could remain on as their president, a position he currently holds as well. Ron Francis is expected to take over the GM position. Francis has been working with Rutherford and handles many of their day-to-day operation duties.
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: “I was told a couple of weeks ago that Ron Francis will take over as GM in Carolina”
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC Sports: Friedman thinks at least one offensive minded Maple Leafs forward will be moved for a more defensive player.Both P.K. Subban and Ryan Miller have chosen to wait until after the season to talk contract, despite their teams willing to talk.
After the season the Hurricanes and Eric Staal will see if their relationship is worth preserving. Eric has been playing on the wing with Jordan and Alex Semin.
It’s likely that the Hurricanes could look to move out some salary this summer. Two players who they could look at moving are Cam Ward (no trade clause) and Jeff Skinner. Other teams have been told that Ward is healthy. The Hurricanes may be willing to eat some salary to move Ward.
Last summer the Hurricanes put Skinner’s name out there, but didn’t seem that serious about moving him. They wanted to see what value he had.
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: “The Hurricanes are going to make everyone available at the draft. The Staals, Skinner, Ward anyone for the right price”
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: P.K. Subban is believed to be looking for an $8 million per year deal, and hopes to remain with the Canadiens.
“I’ll tell you this right now: My goal coming into the NHL was to help the Montreal Canadiens win a Stanley CUp. It still is,” Subban told the Sun on Saturday.
“If I’m not a Montreal Canadien, it won’t be because I don’t want to be there. I have every intention of being there, playing my entire career there.
“If it doesn’t happen, it’s because it’s a business and not because I don’t want to be there.”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “If Leafs miss the playoffs one of two things will happen, replacing the coach or trading guys like Kadri/Gardiner”
- Hope Smoke: James Mirtle: “At the end of last season the Leafs needed help down the middle & on D. They then went & spent their money on Clarkson”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Is Spott the eventual replacement for Carlyle? I think the Leafs hired him to be the Marlies coach & he needs time there”