NHL Rumors: Devils, Islanders, Blues, Jets, Maple Leafs, Gilmour and the Bruins
- Updated: 04/07/2014
- Randy Miller of NJ.com: It’s very likely the Devils will make a strong attempt to sign Cory Schneider to a long-term contract. His deal expires after next season. If they are not able to sign him to an extension, they could look to trade him before the start of next season and possibly re-sign Martin Brodeur. Schneider has said he’s not sure if he’d sign an extension this summer if an offer was fair or if he’d rather play out next season. Miller spoke with Schneider’s agent, Mike Liut. (many questions/answers in link above)
Q: That sounds like you might think Schneider playing out his contract could be the better route.
Liut: We don’t know what New Jersey’s thinking. Let’s not be presumptuous. When I get into these conversations with writers, the one thing that scares me is it comes off that Cory is presumptuously deciding today that is what it’s going to be and we’re making decisions. We don’t have anything. We have a clean slate. To say that we haven’t made any decisions would be to overstate our position. There’s no offer.”
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Evgeni Nabokov would like to continue playing for the Islanders. The Islanders and Nabokov’s camp won’t talk until after the season. He could do a one-year deal. The Isles may look to acquire a young but experience goalie to be their No. 1 next year.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Blues Derek Roy likely won’t be back next year and they could use the $4 million that will be off the books to attempt re-sign Ryan Miller. The Jets may look to deal either Evander Kane or Dustin Byfuglien to shake up their core.
- David Pagnotta: Pagnotta thinks that trade talks involving Jets Evander Kane will pick up this offseason. The Jets will look to retool.
- Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun: Talk of whether or not Evander Kane will be with the Jets next year has begun again. He has been in the rumor for years, dating back to 2011 and a potential deal with the Flyers. Other teams have also been part of the rumors. It’s not known if Kane has asked for a trade. Kane carries a $5.25 million cap hit for the next four seasons. The Jets could keep Kane and hope that he matures both on and off the ice. The Jets could also tire of the situation and move him like the Bruins did with Tyler Seguin.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Go down the list, Nonis may be looking to dangle some guys like Lupul. Maybe he needs to shake up the core to help Bolland” … “I think there is a strong appetite for Leaf fans, and there should be, to bring back Dave Bolland“
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Maybe we need to start talking about likes of Lupul, Phaneuf, go down the list. Some of these guys that have been unable to deliver” … “Maybe they [players mentioned in previous tweet] should be part of the discussion of change?”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “McClement for the most part has been a good player for the Leafs & mgmt will want him back.” … “Raymond too, but you won’t get that guy back for $1 mill. He’ll be $2.5-$3.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I think the Leafs believe they have players in the AHL that can step in and fill Kulemin’s role”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “If I’m Nonis I’m worried. Sure I can fire the coach, but would a new guy fire up and ignite this bunch?” … “Leiweke said to me, a few months back, that he was very supportive of hockey ops and would stay away”
- Murray Pam: Agent Darryl Wolski is reporting that Doug Gilmour is leaving the Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) to coach Lev Praha of the KHL.
- Matt Kalman: Bruins coach Claude Julien will rest players this week. All players will travel with the team.
- CapGeek: There will be quite a few teams that will have bonus overages this year that will be carried over to next year. The Bruins will likely have the biggest cap penalty.