NHL Rumors II: Vancouver Canucks Edition
- Updated: April 9, 2014
- Farhan Lalji: Told that Trevor Linden will be officially named the Canucks President today.
- Farhan Lalji: Told that there was a buyout provision in Mike Gillis’ contract that states that the Canucks would only have to pay half of the remaining $8 million that he is owed. John Tortorella has a similar provision in his contract if it gets to that point.
- Dave Naylor: Jay Feaster said he’d like to be a GM again and would also like to work John Tortorella again one day.
- Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: “Source told me this afternoon Gillis’ interview last week wasn’t the reason he was fired but may have been last straw” … “Biggest reason that Gillis was let go was because he was hurting the business and the brand. Gillis was lightning rod for fans” … “This is about rebuilding trust with fanbase and the city. Ownership felt Gillis was bad for the brand” … “This is a roster (Canucks) that had grown old and stale. Not a lot of young assets coming up other than Horvat” … “When the cast is dyed on Gillis the Luongo saga and ultimately how it unfolded was really when it started going off the rails” … “We may hear over the next few days that ownership tied Gillis’ hands in the Luongo saga. Gillis still the GM though”
- Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: “There are two possibilities on Torts: 1 New GM will make decision” … “Second is that Torts was hired by ownership and is owed a lot of money. New GM will take over knowing Torts will be coach”
- Bruce Garrioch: Gillis firing will ramp up Jay Feaster to the Canucks talk.
- Craig Custance: Custance would promote Laurence Gilman on at least an interim basis.
← Previous Story NHL Rumors I: Kypreos, MacLean, Ferraro and Dreger Talk Maple Leafs