Morning Hits: Halak, Awards, Niemi, Playoffs Streaks and Starting Goalies
- Updated: April 10, 2014
- Renaud Lavoie: Jaroslav Halak’s agent Allen Walsh: “Jaro never at anytime said he didn’t want to start against St. Louis. A private conversation between a player and coach should stay private and not be discussed with the media. I am bewildered that a coach would break that trust especially when those comments the coach publicly attributed to Jaro are not accurate. It’s the coach who makes the decision on who plays in the games, not the players.”
- Bob McKenzie: Coaching survey continued. 16 coaches responding to Hart, Vezina and Norris awards. “Hart: Crosby unanimous, 16 for 16. ANA’s Getzlaf clear runner up, PHI’s Giroux 3rd. No one else close tho Pavelski, Rask, Chara mentioned. Vezina: BOS’s Rask a clear No. 1 (10 for 16) with COL’s Varlamov solid 2nd. MTL’s Price and TB’s Bishop in virtual dead heat for 3rd spot. Norris: Most hotly contested award. CHI’s Keith No. 1, appearing on 13 of 16 ballots with a high of five 1st place votes. BOS’s Chara (four 1st place votes) and NSH’s Weber (three 1st place votes) were virtually tied in voting points behind Keith. NYR McDonagh, MIN Suter, STL Pietrangelo and LA Doughty also got one first-place vote each to place 4th thru 7th with OTT Karlsson at 8th.”
- Kevin Kurz: When asked if Antti Niemi is Sharks guy going into the playoffs, coach McLellan said: “Nemo is one of our guys going into the playoffs.”
- Aaron Vickers: The Flames tied an NHL record by having their 49th one goal game last night. Tied with the 2010-11 Panthers.
- Mike Morreale: Consecutive playoff seasons: Bruins 29, Blackhawks 28; Blues 25; Canadiens 24; Red Wings 23.
- Mike Harrington: Sabres Ted Nolan confirms that Matt Hackett will start their final three games.
- Devils PR: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Devils tonight.
- Jim Cerny: Henrik Lundqvist will start in net for the Rangers tonight.
- Lou Korac: Ryan Miller will start in net for the Blues tonight.