NHL Rumors I: Jets, Canucks, Red Wings, Oilers, Panthers and Brodeur
- Updated: April 14, 2014
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Jets have to trade Evander Kane, but they won’t get full value for him. Could the Jets and Canucks work out a deal, Kane for Alex Edler and a prospect?
The Red Wings are hoping to get Henrik Zetterberg back in the first round (late), but more likely for the second round if they make it that far. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson could be on the same timeline.
Matheson is sure the Oilers will offer Matt Greene a contract if he hits the open market.
- Harvey Fialkov: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said that he would like to add two experienced defenseman at the draft. Tallon’s No. 1 priority is to add a “sniper” for Aleksander Barkov or Nick Bjugstad lines, as well as to help out on the power play.
- Harvey Fialkov: Panther GM Dale Tallon said he will try to re-sign Tom Gilbert and Jesse Winchester.
- Dan Rosen: Devils Martin Brodeur isn’t ruling out a return to New Jersey. Hasn’t spoken with GM Lou Lamoriello. He believes the Devils will be in good hands with Cory Schneider. Tom Gulitti: Brodeur said that Schneider will be the Devils clear cut No. 1 goalie, and that if he returned, it would be as a backup. Katie Strang: If Brodeur takes a backup role, it won’t be for a marginal team, “It’s going to be a team that contends for the Stanley Cup.”
- Rich Chere: Martin Brodeur on being a GM: “That’s something that interests me, but I don’t think I’m ready for that. I’m still in the game.”
- Dan Rosen: Brodeur: “Just the thought about playing against the Devils will kill me. That’s one of the things that bothers me the most.”