Morning Rumors III: Ovechkin, Halak, Flames Free Agents, Maple Leafs and Torts
- Updated: 04/15/2014
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Alex Ovechkin on “which coach provided the best way to play”
“I was not comfortable playing with [Dale] Hunter’s system and I’m comfortable with [Adam Oates’] system and I was comfortable with Bruce [Boudreau’s] system as well. Be honest with you, I don’t know if you can put something on the system right now. You have to put it on players. It doesn’t matter what system you’re going to play.”
Ovechkin on if he wants to remain with the Capitals.
“That’s why I signed [a 13-year, $124 million contract]. I feel comfortable, I love the fans, I love the city. This organization gave me a lot and I want to bring Cup here.”
- Adam Vingan: Capitals Jaroslav Halak: “I wouldn’t be against coming back.”
- Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald: Pending Flames UFA Mike Cammalleri.
“I don’t have anything to report,” said Michael Cammalleri, one of the team’s biggest assets who could be on the market July 1 if a contract agreement isn’t reached. “I am far from having ruled Calgary out as my future.
“It’s really, at this point, all there is to say about that as far as the organization’s gone and I think they have had the same approach with me.”
Cammalleri may be interested in returning.
“I’d still like to talk to Calgary and see where things are at moving forward a little bit,” he said “I really don’t know how I feel about (free agency).”
The Flames and Chris Butler (UFA) have touched base about term and dollar value, but not a lot more.
“It’s something I’ll think about, but it’s still a few months away,” Butler said of the July 1 free agent frenzy. “It’s kind of hard to think about right now after just playing (Sunday) and wearing that jersey for the last three years.
“It’s not unsettling, but it’s a little unnerving and a little intriguing and something that’s kind of in the back of your mind.”
Pending RFAs that may or may not be apart of the Flames future: T.J. Galiardi, Paul Byron, Joe Colborne, Lance Bouma, Chad Billins, and Mark Cundari.
- Chris Johnston: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis: “We have to get better at all areas, scouting in particular. We’re not going to become a contender through free agency.”
- James Mirtle: Maple Leafs Dave Bolland: “For sure it was a tough year for me… A fluke injury gets the best of you.” “It’s Toronto, it’s my hometown. Love to come back.”
- Mike Zeisberger: Maple Leafs Jake Gardiner on being a RFA: “This is where I want to be.”
- Rob Longley: Maple Leafs James Reimer on his future: “will come down to a couple of circumstances.”
- Ben Kuzma: Canucks coach John Tortorella: “I may not be here, but you can’t say you want kids and depth. It takes time. We have a good core, need to surround it.”