NHL Rumors: Predators, Canucks, Hurricanes, Oilers and the Maple Leafs
- Updated: April 22, 2014
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Ranking potential Predators coaching candidates: 1. Peter Laviolette 2. Phil Housley 3. Terry Murray 4. Dean Evason 5. John Stevens 6. Willie Desjardins 7. Dan Bylsma
- Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province: To get more a more experienced goalie that Eddie Lack or Jacob Markstrom, the Canucks would could spend some big money on someone like Ryan Miller or Jonas Hiller. Miller could re-sign with the Blues. You would be taking a chance on Hiller that he could bounce back to form. Signing Miller would basically cap the Canucks out and would limit their ability to improve their forward lines. Bruins backup Chad Johnson would be a lot cheaper and they could try for a short-term deal at a low dollar amount, with the lure of being able to compete for the No. 1 job.
- Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo! Sports: Hurricanes Anton Khudobin thinks that Cam Ward’s time with the Hurricanes could be over.
“Of course he is a strong goaltender. He is a good goaltender. No one is counting him out. They [Carolina] will decide what to do with him this year, this summer. Maybe he, how can I say, has presented everything he could have,” said Khudobin at a Russian National Team press conference on Monday.
“Maybe at this club. Maybe in his career. He has been playing in the NHL since he was 19,” said Khudobin.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Oilers: Matheson thinks the Oilers could be eyeing Leon Draisaitl with the third overall pick.
- Jason Gregor: “Not sure why people think the #Oilers will let Lander go. Easy decision to offer him new contract. They have very little fwd depth.”
- Chip Alexander: Can expect an announcement from Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford early next week. Ron Francis is said to be in Finland this week.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “No real update on Carlyle right now. I’m sure there’s ample dialogue between Shanahan & Nonis at the moment” … “It may take two weeks or maybe more before the Leafs announce a decision on Carlyle.” … “Although many of us have speculated that a coaching change in TO was likely, certainly a possibility, there is no guarantee of that”
- Hope Smoke: Steve Simmons: “My breakdown is that Nonis would like to stay with Carlyle & Leiweke wants him fired. Nothing will happen until 1st round is over”