NHL Rumors: Red Wings, Alfredsson, Capitals GM Candidates, Flames and Canucks
- Updated: April 27, 2014
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Some early offseason priorities for Red Wings GM Ken Holland.
1. Add an impact defenseman – the will have cap space this summer as David Legwand, Daniel Alfredsson, Mikael Samuelsson, Todd Bertuzzi, Kyle Quincey, Jonas Gustavsson and Danny Cleary are in the final season of their contracts. It’s not a deep free agent class, but the Wings could look at Dan Boyle and Matt Niskanen. If looking at the trade market, Alex Edler and Christian Ehrhoff could be options.
2. Sign Danny DeKeyser to a long-term contract – he’s an pending RFA. He hasn’t put a lot of thought on whether he wants a bridge contract or a long-term deal.
3. Add a scoring winger – the Wings are fine up the middle, but could look at free agent wingers like: Thomas Vanek, Ryan Callahan, Marian Gaborik, Matt Moulson or Jaromir Jagr.
- Tim Wharnsby: Daniel Alfredsson said that if he plays next season, if would likely be with the Red Wings.
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Friedman: “If you’re going to make a [coaching] change, make the change. Let the guy get on with his life. Don’t let him hang there” … “Didn’t sound to me, when Linden took over, that he was too keen on keeping Torts. Maybe that’s changed. If not, make the change”
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Gormley lists some GM candidates for the Capitals: Tim Burke (director of scouting for the Sharks), Jim Benning (assistant GM for the Bruins), Ron Hextall (assistant GM for the Flyers), Claude Loiselle (assistant GM for the Maple Leafs), Paul Fenton (assistant GM for the Predators), Bob Nicholson (former president and CEO of Hockey Canada), Craig Billington (VP of player development for the Avalanche), Mike Gillis (former GM of the Canucks), Dave Poulin (VP of hockey operations for the Maple Leafs) and Julien BriseBois (assistant GM of the Lightning).
- John Shannon: “How long before we hear Wayne Gretzky’s name to run hockey in Washington? He and Leonsis have a very good relationship. 99 wants back in.”
- Jim Matheson: The Capitals lineup needs an overhaul. Their blueline is average outside of John Carlson and Karl Alzner. Mike Green continually gets hurt. They are average in goal and they need top-six forwards.
- Bruce Garrioch: Geoege McPhee will be a GM candidate in Calgary.
- Darren Dreger: Jim Rutherford could get some interest from the Capitals or Canucks. He may want a break though. George McPhee would make sense in Vancouver or Calgary.