NHL Rumors: Miller, Blues, Stars, Flames and Hurricanes
- Updated: April 28, 2014
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Blues Ryan Miller on what his next few days and weeks will be like:
“I don’t know,” he said. “Just have to take them as they come now. I guess I’m free to go to my sister-in-law’s wedding. That’s about it.”
Miller said that contract extension talks with the Blues have never become “very serious.” Added that he wouldn’t mind staying.
“We’re through with the hockey part now, and we’ll have to see where we’re at, see how they feel about me,” Miller said. “I definitely like St. Louis. Like the guys, like the team, but we’ll see what they feel about the playoffs.”
- Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Gordon thinks the Blues should hand the crease over to Jake Allen, re-sign Brian Elliott to be the backup and let Miller walk. Re-sign Steve Ott but not for a lot of money or term. Give Ken Hitchcock at least one more year. If Patrik Berglund is willing to re-sign for moderate third line money, then they should consider it. If Berglund is looking for bigger money, they should look at trading him. The Blues don’t need to get into a free agent bidding war for Paul Stastny. Magnus Paajarvi, Dmitrij Jaskin and Ty Rattie should get opportunities to make the team next year.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Custance suggests some moves that might help out the Blues for next season.
1. Hand the goalie keys to Jake Allen – use Allen instead of re-signing Ryan Miller and use that money elsewhere. Sign a veteran backup, possibly re-signing Brian Elliott. Jonas Hiller would make some sense at a reasonable price and term.
2. Sign Paul Stastny – if he hits the open market. Derek Roy ($4 million) and Brenden Morrow ($1.5 million) are coming off the books. Use Vladimir Sobotka as their 3rd line center.
3. Make r0om for Dmitrij Jaskin – they could look at bring Steve Ott back, but they need to continue playing some of their young guys, like they did this year with Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Tarasenko.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Custance suggests some moves that might help out the Stars for next season.
1. Construct a legitimate second line to ease pressure on the top line – Ray Whitney ($4.5 million) will come off the books. Rich Peverley ($3.25 million) health is not known. They may need to look at some free agent wingers to help with scoring.
2. Add another veteran defenseman – need to add at least one more veteran.
3. Trade Sergei Gonchar – he makes $5 million next season, so the Stars may have to eat some of his contract.
- The Fourth Period: The Calgary Herald suggested that the Flames could consider buying out defenseman Dennis Wideman, though it would be costly. The Flames will continue to try to re-sign Mike Cammalleri. A source said that Cammalleri is likely to test the free agent market.
- Mike Sundheim: The Hurricanes will hold a hockey operations news conference at noon today. John Shannon: Hearing that Hurricanes announcing Ron Francis will replace Jim Rutherford as GM.