NHL Rumors II: Blue Jackets, Capitals, Islanders, Hurricanes, Leafs, Stalock and Gretzky
- Updated: April 29, 2014
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Some things that could happen with the Blue Jackets this offseason.
1. Lock up Ryan Johansen – Johansen is a RFA and they’ll have to decide if they want to do a bridge deal or a long-term deal.
2. Extend the contract for Todd Richards – Richards signed a one-year deal last June.
3. Consider naming a captain – they’ve been without one since they traded Rick Nash. Both Jack Johnson and Brandon Dubinsky should be candidates.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: It would be surprising if the Capitals went with a rookie NHL coach because of Alex Ovechkin. Barry Trotz could be on their list. Mike Gillis could get consideration for the GM position.
Islanders GM Garth Snow to one fan at a season-ticket holder event last week: “It would be a safe wager on his part that we would utilize this year’s (first-round draft) pick.” The Islanders have until June 1st to let the Sabres know if they’ll get the Islanders 2014 or 2015 first round pick.
Garth Snow also said that they had a deal worked out for a goalie at the trade deadline until they asked for Brock Nelson.
Steven Stamkos on Martin St. Louis.
“When you have close friends, you support them…Did I totally agree with it? Maybe not,” he said. “I wish he would have stayed for selfish reasons …That was his decision, and he made that in the best interests of himself and his family. You have to respect him for that.”
Teams think that the crowds at the Bell Centre in Montreal influence more calls than any other building.
- Michael Smith: New Hurricanes GM Ron Francis said he hasn’t made a decision on his coaching staff yet.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “The Leafs are not in a big rush to make decisions on anything right now. They also have to have an idea of a replacement in mind” … “If you’re going to fire a proven winner like Carlyle you have to have someone in mind to replace him” … “I still think it’s likely that Carlyle is fired but there is no one leaping off the page as to who will replace him”
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: “I think Doug Armstrong has to seriously consider making a change with Hitchcock”
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: “I spoke to a player on that Capitals team & he told me Ovechkin comes to the weight room does curls and then walks out” Nick Kypreos: “Gretzky would surround Ovechkin with 3 or 4 high character guys who would embarrass Ovechkin into being better”
- Bob McKenzie: McKenzie wonders if Capitals owner Ted Leonsis will reach out to Wayne Gretzky to discuss a potential executive position. McKenzie thinks that Washington may be one of four or five teams where Gretzky might seriously consider. McKenzie notes that to his knowledge, there has been zero contact between the two, and there may never be.
- Cap Geek: If Sharks Alex Stalock plays more than 30 minutes in four (three after last night) more games, he’d become a RFA and not a UFA this summer.