NHL Rumors I: Stafford, Ehrhoff, Ott, Peverley, Sharks, Nilsson, Wilson and Blues
- Updated: 05/01/2014
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Drew Stafford is expected to remain with the Sabres next year, at least for the start of the year. Stafford is entering the last year of his four-year, $16 million deal. They will likely listen to offers for him over the summer, and potentially move him at the trade deadline.
Trade talks will likely continue regarding Christian Ehrhoff. The Sabres have asked him to supply a list of teams he’d be willing to go to.
“I think if they want to move me, they can move me,” said Ehrhoff, who thinks he’ll be back next season. “So far, I do. We’ll see. Obviously, it’s not up to me and that remains to be seen.”
When asked if he wants to part of a rebuild:
“Um,” Ehrhoff said before taking a long pause. “I signed a long-term commitment with the team, and as long as they want me to be here I’m going to do my best for the team. That’s it.”
Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: The Sabres could look at bringing UFA Steve Ott back next season if the price works. Maybe a two or three year deal in the $3 to $4 million range.
- AP in SportsNet: Stars Rich Peverley is unsure if doctors will allow him to continue playing. He will have to undergo testing during workout to see how he does with an elevated heart rate.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger said that it might be time to break up the Sharks core. The deals for Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski haven’t even started yet.
- Arthur Staple: Islanders Anders Nilsson is looking for a one-way deal and not likely to get it from the Isles, could end up in the KHL or SHL next year.
- Craig Custance: Ron Wilson on getting back to coaching: “I’m refreshed, hungry & willing to come back now. We’ll see what happens.”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “I would think that Doug Armstrong would look to make a substantial change.”