NHL Trade: Capitals Trade Pending UFA Jaroslav Halak To The Islanders
- Updated: May 1, 2014
The Washington Capitals have traded pending unrestricted free agent goaltender Jaroslav Halak to the New York Islanders for a 2014 fourth round draft pick that originally belong to the Blackhawks.
The 28-year old Halak was drafted in the 9th round, 271 overall in 2003 by the Montréal Canadiens.
Thoughts from the media:
- Pierre LeBrun: “Halak’s agent Allan Walsh and the Isles have already had a brief conversation about wanting to get a contract done. Mutual interest there.. “
- Daniel Friedman: “Snow essentially traded Bouchard and Regin for Halak’s negotiating rights (4th round pick sent to WSH is CHI’s).”
- Billy Jaffe: “Solid deal for the #Isles. Get a starter who should handle (and wants) 55+ starts. Now the other big key is to add legit defense & health”
- Mike Hume: “Halak in an interesting position now. Clearly buyers market for goalies this summer, and Isles clearly invested after trading for rights”
- Rob Vollman: “Halak cap hit was $3.75M, easily worth $4.5M, will he get $5.0M+ in NYI?”
- Arthur Staple: “Jaro Halak’s agent @walsha tells me Halak “absolutely” has interest in signing long term with #Isles.”
- Chris Johnston: “The #NYI are a great fit for Jaroslav Halak. I like the chances of them getting a contract done before he becomes a free agent.
- Mike Halford: “This sets things up nicely for Braden Holtby… to lose the No. 1 gig to Grubauer next season.”
- Patrick Kearns: “Halak, a good fit in Long Island. He’s a pretty good goaltender, if price is right, makes Islanders instantly better. Need good D men now.”
- David Pagnotta: “The Islanders have not spoken to Halak and his agent yet, but negotiations will begin in the near future.”
- Luke DeCock: “Potentially removes Cam Ward option.”
- Katie Carrera: “With McPhee soon-to-be-former GM, assistant GM Brian MacLellan is handling trades, etc. for the #Caps.”
- Todd Cordell: “Halak would be a good add for the Isles. He’s 7th in SV% since 2007. His .918SV% is tied w/ Rinne & ahead of Miller, Price, Quick, etc.”
- Joe Yerdon: “Good deal. Fourth-round pick for a possible starting goalie? Do that all the time. If he doesn’t re-sign, big whoop.”
- Joe Yerdon: “That would solve the Islanders goaltending issue if they could re-sign Halak. Worth burning a draft pick to do it.”