NHL Rumors I: Coaching Edition – Panthers, Hurricanes, Sharks, Leafs and Predators
- Updated: 05/06/2014
- Josh Rimer: There have been 34 coaching changes in a little over three years.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “This is a funny business. Three-four years ago Guy Boucher had his pick of any job and now he’s in Switzerland”
- Harvey Fialkov: Kirk Muller’s firing won’t have any effect on the Panthers coaching search.
- Darren Dreger: It’s unlikely that Panthers GM Dale Tallon will decide on a coach until after the World Championships.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Trotz is high on everyone’s list. He’ll get a job somewhere. If Carlyle is dismissed he’ll become an immediate candidate in Fla”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “My guess is that Francis will stay within sphere of influence for next Canes coach. I’d guess Ulf Samuelsson”
- Darren Dreger: Ron Wilson is getting consideration for a head coaching position. Some teams are looking for experience.
- Michael Smith: Ron Francis said he’d like to have a coach by the draft.
- David Shoalts: Keep an eye on Kevin Dineen in Carolina.
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Friedman: “Other teams don’t believe McLellan thing is over in SJ. I don’t think that thing is over yet. Have to wait for owner”
- Darren Dreger: Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis will talk about Randy Carlyle’s future this week at their meetings. There is no timeline for their decision.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “What I was told today by the Leafs was that there was no definitive timeline on when they need to decide on Carlyle’s future” … “Nonis and Co still look at Carlyle as a proven winner. They look at that and wonder who is better?” … “Has Oates proven, over the past two years, that he can handle being head coach of the Leafs?” … “Unless it’s Trotz or McLellan I don’t think those other guys are capable enough to sway the Leafs’ decision on Carlyle”
- Hope Smoke: Steve Simmons: “From people I’ve spoken to inside the Leafs org, they’re sitting back and waiting to see which coaches are available” … “At least 4 teams, from what I’m aware of, were willing to hire McLellan if he got fired” … “The people I speak to inside the Leafs org constantly say to me “who’s better than Carlyle?” … “Therefore I expect to see Carlyle reconfirmed with the Leafs shortly” … “I know for a fact that if Carlyle is fired today there are two teams ready to hire him tomorrow as head coach”
- Jimmy Murphy: Multiple sources saying that there is mutual interest between Peter Laviolette and the Predators.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Cooper lists landing spots for the former Predators coach Barry Trotz. 1. Minnesota 2. Vancouver 3. Carolina 4. Washington
← Previous Story NHL Rumors III: Pavelec, Boyle and Gagner