NHL Rumors: Lightning, Canadiens, Islanders, Red Wings, Penguins, Maple Leafs and Blue Jackets
- Updated: May 10, 2014
- Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times: The Lightning could look at dealing one of their goalies. Ben Bishop is their No. 1 goalie. Anders Lindback is a RFA. They recently signed Andrei Vasilevskiy to an entry-level contract. They also have Kristers Gudlevskis and 2011 draft pick Adam Wilcox. They could re-sign Lindback and have Vasilevskiy and Gudlevskis share duties in the AHL. They could use Vasilevskiy or Gudlevskis as Bishop’s backup. Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has admitted that they need to sort out their goaltending situation.
- Mike Hume of ESPN: Bob McKenzie notes in January that P.K. Subban could be looking for a new deal in the $8-9 million per year range. The Canadiens may have little choice when it comes to Subban. An offer sheet that is up to approximately $8.41 million would cost two first round picks, a second and third in compensation. Anything over $8.41 million a year would be four first round picks. If the Canadiens were to get Subban under contract with a $8.4 million salary cap hit, it would leave them with about $20 million in cap space.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: (mailbag) Custance thinks the Maple Leafs will hire at least one high-profile recognizable name as an assistant coach.Locking up
Jaroslav Halak is a high priority for the Islanders. Does Halak what to sign with the Islanders when playoff teams like the Sharks or Wild could be looking for a goalie? If they are able to sign Halak, they can turn their attention to some wingers and defensemen. Custance thinks they should circle back to Matt Moulson. Marian Gaborik is fitting in with the Kings and Thomas Vanek is expected to sign with the Wild. Defenseman Anton Stralman could be an option.
Custance doesn’t think Mike Babcock will be coaching the Red Wings after next year.
Custance likes Kevin Dineen as the Hurricanes next coach. Barry Trotz will be on their list.
Pending UFA Matt Niskanen wants to stay in Pittsburgh. They’ve had preliminary talks and will continue after the season. Custance thinks Andrew MacDonald’s six-years and $30 million is a contract comparable.
Custance wouldn’t buyout Rob Scuderi. He still has trade value. The Kings may be interested in having him back. Brooks Orpik may be the odd man out on their blueline if Niskanen stays.
- Darren Dreger: Leaf players are accountable and there will be changes. Among their priorities is improving their blueline. There will be trade talk involving Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner, Dave Bolland and Nikolai Kulemin. The Leafs are eager to talk trade.
- Aaron Portzline: Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen on pending UFA Derek MacKenzie: “He’s played great for us. He’s a character guy. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he’s done. Not the biggest guy, but plays like a 6-4 guy. But everything has to make sense (in the negotiations). We’ll take all those things in consideration.” Basically confirming they want him back next year.
- Darren Dreger: The second year of Randy Carlyle’s extension is a team option. If things don’t improve he could be gone after next year or the year after that.
- Darren Dreger: Tom Renney is a candidate for at least two NHL head coaching positions.