NHL Rumors I: Maple Leafs Edition
- Updated: May 11, 2014
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Simmons thinks the Maple Leafs will qualify James Reimer and will sign him this offseason. The Leafs have already received some calls on him. The Leafs need to get a truce between Randy Carlyle and Jake Gardiner. Leafs GM Dave Nonis isn’t in favor of trading young defenseman. If the Leafs can’t re-sign Dave Bolland and Nikolai Kulemin by July 1st, they will look to trade their rights for draft picks.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I can tell you that the Leafs are concerned primarily with their defensive core. They want to upgrade there” … “Does that mean they want to attack their top 4 spots? Umm, I’m not sure. They’d like to add a top 4, but that’s not news breaking” … “They’d like to add some veteran presence on D or up front to work with their younger roster” … “The names that are being discussed with other teams are Gardiner, Kadri.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger “I don’t think anyone should be alarmed that Bolland and Kulemin’s name are in there considering their pending UFAs” … “The priority is still for the Leafs to sign both Bolland & Kulemin, but they need to see if the dollar amount would be to keep them” … “If the dollar amount is too high [to retain Bolland & Kulemin] then they’ll move their rights for a draft pick”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Primarily when you’re adding pieces or trying to initiate change, you look at 3 departments…” “…1st you look at the minor league dept & the Leafs believe their may be a couple of players ready to make the jump…” “…2nd, you look at FA and that’s probably where they’ll identify that veteran experience, if the dollar amount is right…” “…3rd is trade that is something the Leafs are eager to get involved in”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “For me, Muller seems to be a better fit as an assistant with the Blues than with the Leafs” … “When Shanahan and Nonis met in Vegas, and Carlyle was there briefly, I’m sure they put a list together of assistant coach names” … “This is going to be an interesting collection of hires. Traditionally the head coach has a tonne of say, as he should, in the hires” … “But this is a three headed beast in Toronto. Nonis & Carlyle will remain in play, but Shanahan will have considerable input as well” … “The Leafs do see value in having new ideas and new voices. Motivated guys that can push Carlyle as well”