NHL Rumors I: Senators Shopping Jason Spezza
- Updated: May 12, 2014
- Nick Kypreos: Sources say in the Senators are shopping Jason Spezza to Western conference teams.
- Bruce Garrioch: Unlike Phaneuf, the return for Jason Spezza would be similar to a deadline rental: a NHL ready player, prospect and a first round pick.
- Bruce Garrioch of Ottawa Sun: The Senators will likely trade Spezza before next months draft. Spezza name in the trade market isn’t much of a surprise as the team was talking trade at the deadline. Both the Blues and Ducks were interested in March. The Sens weren’t ready to trade him then. The Blues may be the most willing to trade after their first round elimination.
- Bruce Garrioch: Spezza had to submit a list of 10 teams that he doesn’t want to be trade too as part of his no-trade clause.
- Bob McKenzie: Spezza rumors come from his exit interview where he told management/ownership that he may look favorably at a move. Spezza is very much in play.
The 30-year old Spezza is entering the final year of his seven-year, $49 million contract. He’ll have a $4 million salary with a $7 million salary cap hit.
Who do you think should be interested in Jason Spezza? What should they give up to get him?
← Previous Story NHL Rumors I: Maple Leafs Edition