NHL Rumors II: Jason Spezza – Blues, Ducks, Rangers and Panthers
- Updated: May 13, 2014
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: It is thought that the Panthers and Rangers could be interested in Jason Spezza, to go along with the Blues and Ducks.
“That number is only going to grow,” a league executive told the Sun Monday. “There will be lots of interest in a guy like Spezza. He’s a good player.
“They’re going to have to be very careful doing this deal because if they move him it’s unlikely they are going to get a better player back.”
Spezza has given GM Bryan Murray a list of 10 teams that he can’t be sent too, as part of his no-trade clause.
1. St. Louis Blues: Make the most sense for Spezza as they need a big center. The Blues would likely offer Patrick Berglund and maybe prospect Ty Rattie.
2. Anaheim Ducks: The Ducks need a second line center and have lots of assets. The Senators would likely want Devante Smith-Pelly as part of the deal. The Ducks would likely offer Emerson Etem. The Senators could get their 2014 first round pick back.
3. New York Rangers: The Senators could be interested in Derek Stepan or Chris Kreider. The Rangers could offer Derrick Brassard. The Senators like Brassard. Garrioch doesn’t see a fit with the Rangers. They likely won’t be buying out Brad Richards.
4. Florida Panthers: No one is sure what direction the Panthers are going. They are saying the No. 1 pick is available. They could use Spezza’s offense. The Senators would want Jonathan Huberdeau, but it sounds like he’s part of the Panthers future plans.
The Sens have told teams that they aren’t just going to give Spezza away and continue to say they’d like a top six forward, a top prospect and a No. 1 draft pick.
- Ken Campbell of The Hockey News: If the Senators trade Jason Spezza, who are they going to replace him with? He is a consistent point producer, in a point a game range. When healthy, he is an elite player. Campbell wonders if it makes more sense to keep Spezza and attempt to re-sign Ales Hemsky. The pair had some chemistry together since Hemsky came over at the trade deadline. If they trade Spezza, their centers would be Kyle Turris, Zack Smith, Mike Hoffman and Mika Zibanejad. If they are going to trade him, the Blues and Avalanche are probable landing spots.
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: “Spezza will probably be moved like a rental. Prices will be like that of a rental. Sens are looking for a big return”
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: “I don’t believe that on Spezza’s trade list would be a team from Canada. I’d think he wants to step out of pressure cooker” … “Unlike Phaneuf, we definitely feel like Spezza won’t be back in Ottawa. With Phaneuf it may take some time” … “There is a lot of value in Spezza and that’s why the Sens would want a lot in return. The ask would be big from Ottawa for Spezza” … “Based on teams wants and needs I’d think there will be more teams interested in Phaneuf than Spezza. D is at a premium” … “No doubt about that [Panthers being in on Phaneuf or Spezza]. There is always a team willing to make a bold move & that’s Florida”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I think in Spezza teams interested will be the ones looking for a #2 C” … “If Bryan Murray is going to make this move, & it’s starting to seem like he’s going to, then it makes sense to be a West Conf team” … “A Western Conference team will show the most interest and be the best fit for Spezza to me. Anaheim leaps off the page for me” … “Ducks will have some holes and they have Getzlaf & Perry. Spezza doesn’t need to go to Ana & be the guy. It covers his liabilities” … “I say Anaheim, but if the Sens move him there will be other teams that show interest as well” … “I do believe Spezza will embrace a change. He’s in a place now, where a trade is likely to happen”