Free Agent Rumors: Callahan, Stastny, Elliott, Miller, Bolland and Iginla
- Updated: 05/15/2014
- Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times: The Lightning have made a “good case” for Ryan Callahan to remain with the team according to his agent.
“There’s no question he did enjoy it,” Bartlett said. “He was impressed by the organization and everybody, from the city and the fans, everything was positive. I think the city made a good case for itself, the team made a good case. There’s always the temptation of July 1st.
“You don’t get that many times in your career, especially at the peak of your career. Those are what you have to balance, the positive and all the good things he knows about Tampa, and what is his right, you have the opportunity to at least hear other people. That doesn’t mean Tampa wouldn’t be his first choice.”
Reports were that when he was with the Rangers, he was looking for six-years and $36 to $39 million.
“I have no doubt that (a lot) of teams will have interest in Ryan Callahan,” Bartlett said. “But, at the same time, I can say Tampa made a very good case for itself.”
- Adrian Dater: Though it could still not happen, Dater is more optimistic now that the Avalanche will be able to re-sign Paul Stastny. Stastny will have to decide if he’ll take a little less to remain with the Avs, or get a little more money elsewhere. Need to remember that Stastny-Avs relationship has been a little delicate at times. Stastny’s dad ripped the organization after they traded Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk.
- Dan O’Neill of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Pending UFA goalie Brian Elliott is unsure if the Blues will be interested in bringing him back next year.
“Honestly, I don’t know,” Elliott said. “From the very beginning of the season, my agent said, ‘Let’s approach the end of the year like you’re going to be a free agent, and if other things happen, that’s fine.’ So I wasn’t hung up on the issue.”
Blues GM Doug Armstrong has already come out and said that Jake Allen will be in the NHL next season. Ryan Miller has said he’d entertain the option the remain in St. Louis.
- Rob Longley: Brendan Shanahan on pending UFA Dave Bolland: “I’d like to get him signed. He’s the exact type of player I like and we need.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Iginla had a wonderful year in Boston. It was like he was born to be a Bruin. I expect Meehan & Boston to begin negotiating soon”
- Chad Grafff: Contract extension talks between the Wild and head coach Mike Yeo haven’t started yet, but are expected to begin soon.