NHL Rumors I: Wings, Sharks, Kesler, Capitals and Maple Leafs

• Ansar Khan of MLive: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said that they won’t use their compliance buyout on Johan Franzen. It makes no sense to pay him $11.6 million over 12 years. If the right trade offer came along, Khan thinks they would move him but doubtful it will happen. No chance the Red Wings will buy out Jakub Kindl. He’s someone that they may be able to trade, only 27-years old at $2.4 million per season.
  • David Pollak: Sharks owner Plattner: “Doug Wilson and I have met over the past two weeks. He has shared his support of the coaching staff, as well as his recommended changes to our team’s roster, and he has my complete support moving forward.”
  • David Pollak: There is no word on what the Sharks roster changes could be.
  • Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: It’s still not known what the Canucks will do with Ryan Kesler. His value may not get higher than it is right now. He has two years left on his deal. Kesler has already submitted a list of teams he’d be willing to accept a trade too: Ducks, Avalanche, Red Wings, Lightning, Blackhawks and the Penguins. At the trade deadline, the only two fits were the Ducks and Penguins. Would Kesler still be interested in going to the Penguins now?
  • Jim Matheson: “If Bylsma and Shero suddenly became available, you think Washington would hire them both before you could spell their names?”
  • Rob Longley: Brendan Shanahan said that no Maple Leafs are untouchable.

1. hankbemis

May 15, 2014 at 10:33 am

does anyone think the wings could seek a trade with Winnipeg this offseason for kane and byfuglien? how about for jimmy howard and johan franzen :)

I wonder what it would take. gives detroit the right handed D and power forward they always need. and the first two black wings at the same time, that would be good for publicity/marketing/race relations in detroit!

May 15, 2014 at 10:43 am

An average goaltender and a declining veteran for a big, young goal scoring winger and a big, cup winning right hand shot defenceman?

If the Wings wanted to get Kane and Byfuglien it would probably start with Anthony Mantha, a top prospect who has the potential to be a big goal scoring winger, along with a young defenceman (like Kindl) and either a 1st round pick or a good young roster player like Tatar, Jurco or Sheehan.

So a true hockey deal, where both teams get good value, would be

Kane/Byfuglien > < Mantha/Kindl/Jurco

I'm not a fan of either team but I think most teams in the NHL would give at least that for Kane alone.

I know that, as a Leaf fan, a Kane deal would start with Gardiner or Kadri. Gotta give to get.

3. MikeBeattie

May 15, 2014 at 10:48 am

No Maple Leaf is untouchable, except for Carlyle…

4. hankbemis

May 15, 2014 at 11:05 am

i hear ya, but that goal scoring winger had less than 20 goals this season. Franzen had the same amount of points in 10 less games. Howard would be an improvement on winnipeg’s goalie situation. I agree it would have to include a younger player (would never be mantha though, the wings wouldn’t consider it), I was kind of joking with the howard/franzen deal. maybe howard franzen tatar kindl. seems like howard is a wing for life though, as we like to do with our goalies.

May 15, 2014 at 11:16 am

Jimmy Howard would be a no go, unless a starting goalie was coming back, and I’d rather take my chances with Howard than with Pavs.

As much as I’d love Kane and Buff on the Wings, I’d rather them stay the course with their kids. If they do go the trade route, I suspect Holland will circle back to Vancouver, whenever they find a GM, and see if the asking price for Edler has dropped.

I can see them being interested in Buff, but not both Kane and Buff. Price would be too high. Right now, I think their priorities are shoring up the D, then seeing if Alfie returns.

May 15, 2014 at 11:30 am

Even if Alfie retires, I think they’ll look within or at the free agent market first, before considering a trade replacement.

May 15, 2014 at 12:55 pm

The reason you think Mantha is a non starter is the same reason the Jets won’t trade Kane.

Kane is 23. Franzen is 34. Kane will get better. Franzen won’t.

I think Boston just showed in the Montreal series why you don’t trade 22 or 23 year old kids. Among the many examples this one is standing out.

Boston dominated in the offensive end but could not beat Price or keep up with the speed of Montreal’s transition; Tyler Seguin could have made a big difference here. He had the skill to score and make plays and the speed to keep up with Montreal.

This summer it’s a buyer’s market for goalies. Good options with #1 capabilities are out there. Guys like Halak and Hiller are available and RFAs like Reimer are worth very little. Jimmy Howard is good but not elite.

I guess what it comes down to is that the price for Evander Kane is likely a young roster player and a top prospect/first round pick.

8. Ryan

May 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I say trade Franzen,kindl, and a second round pick for buff and try and go after iginla, Moulson, or vanek(if Minnesota doesn’t pick him up). Any of those three could easily fill in franzens void, plus mantha should be just about ready to come up too. But wings for sure need that right handed d who also is a big body that can throw his weight around.

May 15, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Mantha is a beast but Holland won’t have him in the NHL next year. Not because he can’t but because Holland’s MO is to ‘over prepare’ prospects so that they can fit into their role in the NHL as seamlessly as possible.

Ken Holland is my favorite GM in hockey and I’m a Leaf fan. His philosophy on team building is scarily logical to the point that it infuriates me that my team does the exact opposite and wonders why they suck all the time.

Mantha will need a year in the AHL which means that he’ll probably take two and bounce up and down with the big club. In the end though, he’ll be a well rounded, well developed player like most of the guys on the team who went through this approach. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Nyquist, Tatar etc. all spent time developing either in the AHL or European pro or both before getting their spots.

May 15, 2014 at 2:59 pm

The other thing Detroit do really well are reclamation projects. They take guys that have baggage and give them another shot and it often works out. Cleary, Bertuzzi… Don’t be surprised if, in the event that they can’t get a Vanek, Niskanen or a Moulson that they grab a guy like Boyle or Mason Raymond and make it work.

11. Gordie

May 16, 2014 at 12:28 am

I can see a possible 3-way deal

Kesler > Wings
    Mantha/Jurco & 1st rd > Jets
    Kane & 1st (Wings) > Canucks

Or somethin in that neighbourhood

12. Gordie

May 16, 2014 at 12:39 am

Leaves Edler to dangle once 1st domino falls.

Possibly to Bruins, Penguins

Any speculators?

May 16, 2014 at 2:41 am

Wings don’t really need Kesler, at least not as much as a RHD( which I thought Edler was, but he’s a lefty,which makes mbe wonder why Holland was even targeting him before, if the rumours were true)

As of now, Wings have all lefties on their D. Quincey is most likely gone, after that who knows. Sproul and Marchenko will most likely get a shot, but aren’t likely to stick all year, so RHD is a must, especially if Alfie retires, since he mostly played the point on the PP, more out of necessity than luxury.

I can definitely see them going after Boyle. I really hope they steer clear of Niskanen. I think his price is going to be huge for what he brings. Boyle should be a cheaper alternative.