NHL Rumors III: Center Targets for Stars … Wild and Their Goaltending
- Updated: May 15, 2014
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: The Stars will be looking for a No. 2 center this offseason, and there could be plenty of options.
1. Jason Spezza – the Stars would not be interest if it were for only a year. They may want to talk about an extension first before make a deal. The Senators may be interested in Trevor Daley, Brenden Dillon or Alex Chiasson, a prospect and a draft pick. The Senators may need to add salary to get to the cap floor. Would they be able to work out a deal to include Sergei Gonchar and his $5 million contract? Would the Stars be willing to give up Alex Goligoski, Brett Ritchie or Jason Dickinson, as well as their first round pick?
2. Paul Stastny – he could be available on July 1st and the Stars wouldn’t have to give up anything to get him.
3. Ryan Kesler – he has had shoulder and foot issues that past couple seasons. The Stars and Canucks ownership have some negative history. The Canucks may be interested in Alex Chiasson or Brenden Dillon, prospects Brett Ritchie or Jamie Oleksiak.
4. Could the Hurricanes shop Eric or Jordan Staal? Cost for either would be high.
5. Mikhail Grabovski – he may like the Stars up-tempo play.
6. Leave Cody Eakin at No. 2 and add a solid No. 3 – free agent options – Vern Fiddler, David Legwand, Steve Ott and Jay McClement.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher’s top priority this offseason will be to figure out his goaltending situation for next season. At points this past season, Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, Darcy Kuemper and Ilya Bryzgalov were all used as their No. 1 goalie. Backstrom has two years left at $3.5 million per season. The Wild would still be on the hook for his deal if he retired. Harding has not thought of retiring due to his health concerns. Kuemper is a RFA and will be looking for one-way deal. Bryzgalov is a UFA. Thomas Vanek speculation will continue. Would GM Chuck Fletcher consider trading Mikko Koivu?