NHL Rumors II: The Sharks and Maple Leafs
- Updated: May 16, 2014
- San Jose Sharks: Sharks GM Doug Wilson said that pending UFA defenseman Dan Boyle will not be back next season. Wilson added that they will be moving Brent Burns back to the defense next year. Martin Havlat has been told that he won’t be back next year with the Sharks … “When you enter into this type of phase, no options are off the table. You explore everything.” … “We will continue as we move towards a harder, younger, more aggressive team. The next phase of that process will start immediately”
- Kevin Kurz: Biggest tell that big changes are coming, Wilson: “You have to take one step backwards to be in a position to go two steps forward.”
- David Pollak: Boyle and Havlat leaving may not be the biggest changes that are coming for the Sharks. They are just what Wilson can talk about at this point in time.
- David Pollak: Sharks GM Doug Wilson on their top scout, Tim Burke, having his name linked to the Canucks and Capitals: “He’s our employee and not going anywhere.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I can’t say there isn’t interest from the Leafs in Dan Boyle. Nonis and Shanahan will look at all the pending UFAs” … “If there is any interest in a one or two year deal and the math made sense I’d be surprised if the Leafs don’t show interest” … “That’s especially so considering the Leafs have said they want to bring in leadership & experience. Who has more exp than Boyle?”