NHL Rumors IV: Penguins and Bruins

Update: Penguins GM Ray Shero is fired, Dan Bylsma hasn’t been fired.

• Bob McKenzie: The Penguins will announce this morning that GM Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma have been fired.
  • Will DePaoli of Insider Pittsburgh Sports(posted before this mornings news on Shero) Marc-Andre Fleury’s future with the team could be in question if a new GM is brought in. Many think he won’t be back. Jussi Jokinen would like to come back next year. Some think that Jokinen could ask for at least $4 million a season. Beau Bennett will have another surgery on his wrist this off-season.
  • William DePaoli: Penguins Tanner Glass: “I’d like to come back. Lot of factors that go into it. We’ll see”
  • Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Bruins need to get faster and quicker. They need to find another defenseman who can make a quick transition out of their own zone with a pass or rushing the puck.  Coyotes Keith Yandle and Canucks Alex Edler fit that profile. If Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning ends up being the Canucks new GM, he would know what is in the Bruins system, which would help make a deal easier. Yandle has a $5.25 million cap hit and Edler has a $5 million cap hit. Both would require high price to get them. Both could ask for Brad Marchand, who has three years left at $4.5 million. Johnny Boychuk could also get some interest. Prospects that could get some interest are: Ryan Spooner, Alexander Khokhlachev, Zach Trotman, David Warsofsky and Malcolm Subban. If Jarome Iginla would come back on a one-year deal that includes bonuses, the Bruins would be interested. The Bruins could trade Matt Bartkowski. They may not qualify Jordan Caron. Free agents that are unlikely to return: Caron, Chad Johnson, Andrej Meszaros, Corey Potter and Shawn Thornton.
  • Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Yeah they could look to move some guys like Marchand, but I don’t expect radical changes”

May 16, 2014 at 10:28 am

Not a big surprise coming out of Pittsburgh. Bylsma and Shero have gotten stale. I think Bylsma got thrown under the bus a bit, but he isn’t totally innocent. Granted, he can only do with what Shero gives him, but his roster juggling, or lack thereof, is really questionable.

May 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

Not to mention whoever the new GM is would likely want to hire his own coach.

3. Andrew

May 16, 2014 at 10:59 am

Marchand, Bartkowski, and maybe a 2nd round pick for edler would be amazing. I’m not sure if that makes sense hockey wise for both sides but the Bs need to dump the nose face killah

4. Andrew

May 16, 2014 at 10:59 am

5. Canucks fan

May 16, 2014 at 12:08 pm

We’d be lucky to get marchand for edler straight up ..

May 16, 2014 at 12:12 pm

@Canucks Fan…I was going to say the same. Canucks would have to add a piece to Edler to get Marchand.

7. Shane

May 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I’d rather see Matt Moulson in Marchand’s spot.

8. Andrew

May 16, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I didn’t even take contract length into consideration but if the nucks would do a edler +1 for marchand i would do that any day. and as to signing moulson that would be prime. I think hes the kinda guy that thrives no matter where he is. Great hands, drives to the net, and actually has a net presence. In regards to the firings I really think they screwed themselves on this and the should have def fired Bylsma and maybe then shero but keeping the coach is beyond me. i just don’t understand why they are keeping the coach at all.

May 16, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Wow, so apparently, Bylsma is staying(for now, at least) I agree, it is a headscratcher. Unless the next GM is coming from within the organization, which IMO, would be pretty much the “same old, same old”, normally a new GM has his own preference for coaching staff. I think its safe to say Bylsma will be on a very short leash, no matter which direction they go with GM.

As for the Boston part, I have no clue which way they”ll go. There’ll definately be changes, as I believe they’ll be close, if not over the cap, considering bonus payouts and re-signings(Smith, Krug, and maybe Iggy? Those are the ones that stand out to me). PC isn’t afraid to pull the trigger on a deal, so it’ll be an interesting summer.

10. Steve

May 16, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Bylsma not being fired was pretty straight forward if you saw the Pens press conference. Coaching and player decisions will be left to the new GM. Bylsma’s job is far from secure at this point.

May 16, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Nope, never watched it. I did read snippetts of it on NHL.com later in the afternoon. Actually, pretty logical to let the new GM decide Bylsma’s fate. Even if I was under the impression that when a GM is canned, the coach is usually soon to follow.

Plus, in the meantime, it prevents other teams from snatching him up, since he’s still signed 2 more years.

12. hankbemis

May 16, 2014 at 10:58 pm

andrew, what an absurd trade you proposed, but nose faced killah was funny.

May 17, 2014 at 12:40 am

The Pens should hire Brian Burke as the GM, so Brian Burke can trade with Flames GM, Brian Burke.