NHL Rumors IV: Penguins and Bruins
- Updated: May 16, 2014
Update: Penguins GM Ray Shero is fired, Dan Bylsma hasn’t been fired.
- Bob McKenzie: The Penguins will announce this morning that GM Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma have been fired.
- Will DePaoli of Insider Pittsburgh Sports: (posted before this mornings news on Shero) Marc-Andre Fleury’s future with the team could be in question if a new GM is brought in. Many think he won’t be back. Jussi Jokinen would like to come back next year. Some think that Jokinen could ask for at least $4 million a season. Beau Bennett will have another surgery on his wrist this off-season.
- William DePaoli: Penguins Tanner Glass: “I’d like to come back. Lot of factors that go into it. We’ll see”
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Bruins need to get faster and quicker. They need to find another defenseman who can make a quick transition out of their own zone with a pass or rushing the puck. Coyotes Keith Yandle and Canucks Alex Edler fit that profile. If Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning ends up being the Canucks new GM, he would know what is in the Bruins system, which would help make a deal easier. Yandle has a $5.25 million cap hit and Edler has a $5 million cap hit. Both would require high price to get them. Both could ask for Brad Marchand, who has three years left at $4.5 million. Johnny Boychuk could also get some interest. Prospects that could get some interest are: Ryan Spooner, Alexander Khokhlachev, Zach Trotman, David Warsofsky and Malcolm Subban. If Jarome Iginla would come back on a one-year deal that includes bonuses, the Bruins would be interested. The Bruins could trade Matt Bartkowski. They may not qualify Jordan Caron. Free agents that are unlikely to return: Caron, Chad Johnson, Andrej Meszaros, Corey Potter and Shawn Thornton.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Yeah they could look to move some guys like Marchand, but I don’t expect radical changes”
← Previous Story NHL Rumors III: Capitals, Ducks, Kings, Leafs and Panthers