Morning Hits: Konopka, Lucic, Gustafsson and Scouting Ekblad
- Updated: May 17, 2014
- James Duthie: Sources saying that Sabres Zenon Konopka was suspended for taking DHEA, which is an over the counter supplement. It was recommended to him by a non-team doctor.
- Amalie Benjamin: Bruins Milan Lucic on the handshake: “I’m not sorry that I did it.”
- Joe McDonald: Bruins Milan Lucic will have an MRI on his left wrist.
- Frank Seravalli: Flyers GM Ron Hextall said that Erik Gustafsson told him he’d be heading to the KHL. Hextall said Flyers are disappointed.
- Hope Smoke: Corey Pronman: “Defensive value is always one of the hardest things to isolate when you’re scouting” … “That’s why I watched Ekblad very closely this year. It was evident he wasn’t as highly skilled as top D prospects of recent years” … “He [Ekblad] wasn’t as dynamic as Drew Doughty was coming into the draft with the puck. If you’re going to put him 1st, is he [Ekblad] a dynamic defensive player? From close observations, and talking to scouts, I do think he is a dynamic def player to go with, not dynamic, but very good offensive abilities. That’s why he’s the moderately clear #1” … “I probably would lean to Seth Jones over Ekblad [if they were in the same draft] but I don’t think it’s a clear argument” … “I think Ekblad is close to that level of prospect [like Seth Jones]. I think both are very close as prospects”