NHL Rumors I: Thornton, Marleau, Niemi, Spezza, Panthers No. 1, Umberger, Brisson, Hiller and Koivu
- Updated: May 20, 2014
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: Sharks GM Doug Wilson has said there will be some changes next year. Some are speculating that Joe Thornton and/or Patrick Marleau could be traded. Goalie Antti Niemi is entering the final year of his deal ($3.8 million) and could be moved. Pending UFA Alex Stalock is likely to be re-signed. Dan Boyle won’t be back and a Martin Havlat buyout is looming.
- The Fourth Period: Sources saying the Sharks will look at trading Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Antti Niemi this off-season. Thornton and Marleau have no-movement clauses. One source said they haven’t approached Thornton about waiving his NMC. A source said the Sharks met with Marleau on Friday, but it’s not known what was discussed. There is no guarantee that they move Thornton and Marleau. The Sharks would like to get younger in net.Other big name players who could be on the move this off-season: Jason Spezza, Dion Phaneuf, Evander Kane, Ryan Kesler and Alex Edler.
- Sean Gentile of the Sporting News: Since the Blues won’t be re-signing Ryan Miller, than can use the savings and target an offensive player like Jason Spezza. The Score reported that their is a mutual interest between the two.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Panthers have let it be known that they would trade their No. 1 overall pick. They may be interested in moving back and drafting William Nylander. If GM Dale Tallon thinks he’d be there in the No. 5 to No. 7 range, that would bring in the Islanders, Canucks and Hurricanes. The Flames draft at No. 4 and may look to make a splash and move up to No. 1. The Oilers will likely get what they like by staying at No. 3, either Leon Draisaitl or Aaron Ekblad.Matheson thinks that Joe Thornton may be more willing to waive his no-trade clause than Patrick Marleau. The Leafs would most certainly take a run at Thornton. The Predators and Lightning may also be interested.
- Bob Stauffer: Blue Jackets R.J. Umberger has the size and compete level, but is slow and doesn’t have a great contract. The Oilers need to add players you are big and who can skate.
- Bob McKenzie: Player agent Pat Brisson will not go after the vacant Penguins GM position and will remain an agent. Brisson: “Ron (Burkle), Mario (Lemieux) and I have been friends for a very long time. We’ve been linked to each other for many years and have exchanged ideas on many fronts and the business of hockey especially. They reached out on possible candidates for the vacant GM job on Friday. As for me, I am happy with what I do at CAA and will continue on the path of representing players.”
- Eric Stephens: Jonas Hiller said that his Game 7 appearance was likely his last in Ducks uniform.
- Anaheim Ducks: Saku Koivu: “I’ll take a couple of weeks to decide [on my future]. Get away for a little bit and then take it from there.”