NHL Rumors II: Ryan Miller and Goalie Market – Who Is Available and Who Could Be Looking For A Goalie
- Updated: May 20, 2014
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Brian Elliott’s three-year, $7.5 million deal and Jake Allen set to play in the NHL next year, means that they won’t be bringing Ryan Miller back.
“At the trade deadline, we took a calculated gamble of bringing in Ryan and we didn’t have the success that we needed as an organization … certainly not all reflective on Ryan,” Armstrong said. “It’s a team game and as an organization we are responsible.
“But it was additional payments necessary to Buffalo if we signed Ryan. That would have been basically moving back a full round in the draft … and we just felt at this time, it was better for us to go with Elliott and Jake Allen.”
Blues GM Doug Armstrong met with Miller last week to him know their decision.
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: The Blues-Sabres trade is basically finalized now: Miller and Steve Ott for Chris Stewart, Jaroslav Halak, William Carrier, 2015 1st round pick and a 2016 3rd round pick. There are two conditions that could change the deal if the Blues decide to trade Miller’s rights.
If St. Louis trades Miller prior to the June 27 draft, the deal becomes the following: Buffalo sends Miller, Ott, a 2014 second-round pick originally belonging to Minnesota and a 2014 third-rounder to St. Louis for Stewart, Halak, Carrier, the 2015 first-rounder, the 2016 third-round selection plus a 2014 first-round pick.
If St. Louis trades Miller after it makes its first-round pick and before the start of free agency July 1, the trade finalizes as Miller and Ott to the Blues for Stewart, Halak, Carrier, the 2015 first-round pick and a 2016 second-round selection.
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: The Sharks could look at trading Antti Niemi and signing Ryan Miller. Miller could be looking to get between $5 and $6 million a year, but that number may drop after his playoff performance. The Sharks may not want to go more than two or three years.
- Mike Brehm of USA Today: Ryan Miller now joins a goalie free agent market that includes: Jaroslav Halak, Jonas Hiller, Martin Brodeur, Tim Thomas, Evgeni Nabokov and Ilya Bryzgalov. Cam Ward may be on the trade block. The Ducks look to be going with Frederik Andersen and John Gibson next season. The Sharks could be looking for a new goalie, but would need to trade Antti Niemi first. The Canucks, Capitals and Penguins could be looking for goalie.
- Lou Korac: Source said that the Blues and Ryan Miller talked contract extension, but Miller was asking for too much money.
- Jeremy Rutherford: Ryan Miller’s agent Mike Liut in an email: “The Blues were unwilling to wait until July to sign Ryan and need to address other concerns they have in their lineup.”
- Greg Brady: Told yesterday that the Red Wings will “weigh options” with regards to Ryan Miller this off-season. There has always been interest. Jimmy Howard has five years left at $5.25 million. The Wings wouldn’t move him unless they could “upgrade” him. Brady thinks they could trade Howard. Brady doesn’t think the Wings are the front-runners.