NHL Rumors I: GMs and Coaching – Canucks, Penguins, Capitals, Panthers, Sharks and Oilers
- Updated: May 22, 2014
- Darren Dreger: Jim Benning has agreed to a multi-year deal to be the GM of the Canucks.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Barry Trotz will be among the Canucks top candidates for their vacant head coaching position. Trotz has met with the Capitals and is said to be meeting with the Panthers at some point.The Penguins have six or seven GM candidates in mind as of yesterday, including Julien BriseBois (TB), and Norm Maciver (CHI).
Despite the talk, there doesn’t seem to be a fit between Wayne Gretzky and the Capitals.
- Darren Dreger: Wayne Gretzky is still interested in returning to the NHL, but he’s said he hasn’t talked to the Capitals.
- John Shannon: The Capitals had Barry Trotz in town on Tuesday. Darren Dreger: Confirming that Trotz met with owner Ted Leonsis and president Dick Patrick.
- Will DePaoli of Inside Pittsburgh Sports: The Penguins “Plan A” was to hire Pat Brisson to run their hockey operations and keep Jason Botterill on as a significant member of their management team. There is not much talk on bringing Don Sweeney in, and are unlikely to go with Paul Fenton. Rob Rossi said that Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton would be a dark horse GM candidate. Lightning assistant GM Julien BriseBois will interview with the Penguins this week. Pierre McGuire may not be at the top of their list, but he’s not being ruled out.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “I think Trotz will be a consideration for the Canucks coaching job. I think he’s also a consideration for Washington” … “John Stevens might be another guy in the mix for Vancouver. Stevens & Tortorella were the two finalists for the job last year”
- Jimmy Murphy: Confirms the Penguins are interested in Piere McGuire for their vacant GM spot. Not sure if he’s been interviewed yet. Murphy thinks McGuire would be a great hire for the Penguins or any team for that matter. He’s knowledgeable and connected. Murphy also thinks that current assistant GM Tom Fitzgerald would be a good choice.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “I wouldn’t be surprised if Trotz went to Fla either. I haven’t heard much from their RE coaching” … “I think Tallon is going to want someone with cache and experience. Not going to be hiring a young guy like Blashill” … “Tallon isn’t looking for the next Cooper. Looking for an experienced guy. They’ll be active on July 1st”
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: Sharks Larry Robinson signed a three year contract extension to remain their associate coach and adding the title of director of player personnel according to the Montreal Gazette. The Sharks did confirm the extension, but wouldn’t confirm his position(s) as they are not finalized yet.
- Robin Brownlee: Oilers GM Craig MacTavish said that Dallas Eakins has the say on who will be on his coaching staff.
- Stephen Whyno: Olli Jokinen on the Jets extending Paul Maurice: “A huge step in the right direction,” adding he’s “one of the best coaches I had.”
← Previous Story Morning Hits: Bettman, Wang, Smith, Pouliot, Maatta and Mayer