NHL Rumors II: Flyers, Predators, Neal, Maple Leafs, Lazar, Miller and the Canucks

• Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers need an offseason retooling, bringing in some speed. The Flyers don’t have a lot of salary cap space, potentially $4.5 million before re-signing  Kimmo Timonen, Ray Emery, Brayden Schenn, Adam Hall, and Jason Akeson. GM Ron Hextall may have to trade one or two of their higher salaries players to create some room. The Predators could use some offensive help, so it’s possible they might have interest in Vincent Lecavalier. New Preds head coach Peter Laviolette was with the Flyers when they brought Lecavalier in last year. The Flyers will get $4.9 million in cap relief when Chris Pronger is put on the LTIR.
  • Mark Madden: (Pittsburgh radio host) A highly-placed source said off the record that James Neal asked for a trade. Neal on the record said he didn’t. James Neal: “All of these rumors couldn’t be further from the truth. I love being a Pittsburgh Penguin. I hope to remain a Penguin and win as a Penguin.”
  • David Staples: Staples wonders if the Maple Leafs would trade their 8th overall pick and Dion Phaneuf or Jake Gardiner for the 1st overall pick to draft either Sam Bennett or Sam Reinhart.
  • Jim Matheson: The Sharks would have taken Curtis Lazar with the 18th overall pick, but the Senators drafted him with the 17th overall pick.
  • Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “if Miller wants to play somewhere in vicinity of Cali & on the West coast then Van makes a lot of sense. No rock solid #1 there”
  • Mike Harrington: With the Sharks and Ducks not likely to have interest in Ryan Miller anymore, the Canucks are at the top of Harrington’s list of potential landing spots for Miller, especially with the Jim Benning/Buffalo connection.

1. James Neal's Cousin

May 24, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Wow, if you click on the 2nd link – Mark Madden tells one of his followers to F off. People putting garbage rumors on the internet and then telling people off when they are called out. Not how I would want my radio station to be represented. If you can’t take the heat, then get off twitter or stop spreading garbage.

May 24, 2014 at 2:48 pm

While probably not the most elegantly way to put it, Twitter isn’t exactly known for elegance. I think he was pretty much spot on with his reply stating that talk radio=conjecture. If some people don’t like it, maybe they should change the station.

Luckily, there’s a link to the full tweet, because what’s left out here is a pretty important part. The part where Madden also says Neal denies it.

If anybody is spreading garbage, is this site. Madden is only trying create opinion, which as a host, is what he should be doing.

3. EastCoastHockeyFan

May 24, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Why would Toronto give up there either of there top 2 defense men AND the 8th over all for Sam Bennett, who is a great young prospect BUT is more than likely going to top out as a good number 2 center in the nhl after a year or 2 of development in junior/AHL. or Sam Reinhart who fits a very similar mold. Toronto would be well served to stick in the number 8 spot and nab either Haydn Fleury, a 17 year old (18 by the draft) 6’2 200lb shut down d man with a pretty nice shot from the point, or take the offensive gamble and grab up Nikolaj Ehlers who is small but his sheer offensive skill and hockey I.Q. is at the very top of this years draftees he is only 18 and IF he fill out his 5’11 frame he could be a solid first line winger in a couple of years.
    I will admit I am from Halifax, so i have had the pleasure of watching Ehlers frequently this year. I also could be a little bias for the same reason BUT that said IMO IF it wasn’t for his size and the fact he is in his first year in the CHL he would of been top 5 if not top 3 very easily

May 24, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I’m with you; none of this year’s draft class projects to be a Sramkos, Doughty or Tavares. I’d like to see them stick at 8 but take a gamble on a skilled forward. Ehlers, virtanen, nylander, or Ritchie. Hayden Fleury would probably be a late 1st or early second in last year’s draft. With a top ten pick you gotta go for the type of skill you can usually only get at the draft.

Whoever they pick they can’t afford to screw it up. Way too many Biggs/Gauthier/Percy type picks and not enough high end guys.

May 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

I’m not a Leaf fan, but I highly doubt Nonis even considers what Staples is asking. Not even sure if Talon would. If trading down, I think 5th would probably be the lowest he would go.

Looking at Toronto’s prospect pool, they can use a little of every position, but LW really stands out as need, which there is a handful of roughly in the 7-14 range.

I do agree, whoever they pick, needs to be a homerun. They shouldn’t be reaching too far, even if they really like the guy. With no current 2nd, and a pretty dismal 3-7 round drafting history(last couple years looks pretty good, so far though) that #8 really shouldn’t be another safe pick.

6. EastCoastHockeyFan

May 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm

you are right, i would love see them take an Ehlers, Nylander, OR if some how hes still available Virtanen this year, any one of those 3 would be a step in the right direction in there drafting pattern. Even if they do not pan out, take the gamble at the high end talent instead of drafting safe every time. I do like Ritchie but id rather see the offensive flare of the of any of the other 3 over another large power foward

7. andy

May 26, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Don’t see the Canucks going after Ryan Miller because for one they don’t have the cap space. Two they bloody well need defensemen. And three they have 3 fair to decent netminders(Lack,Markstrom and Eriksson).

May 27, 2014 at 8:58 am

I think they’re sticking with Lack/Markstrom. Lack played well enough to at least show what he can do as a starter. Personally, I think they should try to get a cheap, yet decent 1B since Lack has never played more than 53 games at any level. Even though Markstrom is on a one way this coming year, he hasn’t really been impressive in even limited amounts, so I can’t say I’d trust him in 15-20 games, that an average backup would play.

I really don’t think the Canucks will be doing alot this offseason. Re-signing Kassian and Tanev should be at the top of their agenda, then some minor moves/signings to fill out the roster.

To me, Benning’s press conference sounded like he will be taking a “wait and see” approach. Evaluate firsthand if last season was just a fluke, or the continuation of a downward spiral, then go from there.