NHL Rumors III: Panthers, Kings, Canucks and Jets

• Craig Custance: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said he’s received at least a half dozen legitimate inquiries about the 1st overall pick.
  • Ronnie Shuker of The Hockey News: Sunday’s game could be Mike Richards final game in a Kings uniform as the could be bought out by the team. He has six-years and $29 million remaining on his deal, with a salary cap hit of $5.8 million. A buyout would cost the Kings $19.3 million over 12 years.
  • Luke Fox of SportsNet: Canucks GM Jim Benning is open to upgrading in net.

“We’re going to look at every avenue we have to make our team competitive. Vancouver is a big-market city, we’ve got a passionate fan base, [and] our owners want to win,” Benning told Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Brady & Walker when asked directly about signing a free-agent goaltender. “I know they have a lot of confidence in Eddie Lack. For a first-year goalie last year, he had a good season, and we hope that he can take it to the next step this year.”

Benning scouted and drafted Ryan Miller. Other UFAs include: Jonas Hiller, Ilya Bryzgalov, Tim Thomas, Alex Stalock, Carter Hutton, Justin Peters, Thomas Greiss, Martin Brodeur and Ray Emery.

Benning on Ryan Kesler.

“I touched base with Ryan yesterday. We’re still going back and forth on that. We’re going to listen to Ryan. We’re going to have a good, open, honest communication,” said Benning, who has also been speaking with Kelser’s agent. “Where it leads to, at this point I don’t know.”

• Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff on trades and free agency.

“After all the review since the season ended, are you in a dealing mood?” was the question Cheveldayoff was asked.

“For all the changes happening in the league, I think there’s a strong appetite among teams to want to talk about making changes,” he said, noting there are seven new GMs in place. “We are certainly in that mix of talking, to find out if there’s a way to trade, whether it’s a big asset, a middle asset, whatever asset. You sit and talk to see if there’s a chance that something can fit with something you’re looking for.

“I think with this year’s crop of free agents, you’re really starting to see where the trend of locking up players for long term has lessened the number of players that would have otherwise entered free agency.

“And that’s leading a lot of teams to think they might have to make a trade to do something, as opposed to simply relying on free agency. Not that we’ve been huge players in free agency in the past, but I can say it hasn’t been for lack of wanting to be.”

On if their ninth overall pick is a starting point in trade talks and if it’s in play.

“I think any time you’re in a situation like this, where there’s lots of talk and there are new GMs in the league… and different organizations are in different cycles that need different things, it would not be factual to say I’ve got a deal in place, but I wouldn’t be totally truthful if I told you I wasn’t openly and actively in conversations in any regard.

“You always are, but until you know what every other team is thinking, it’s hard to say what the reality is of something happening or not.”

1. Ross

May 31, 2014 at 9:23 pm

The Jets will put Kane and Buff in play but will only move them if the deal is too good to turn down, there is no absolute need to. I really like what chevy is doing and how he is building through the draft

May 31, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Maybe Evander Kane can use his money phone to dial in a cup for Winnipeg

3. Jeff

June 1, 2014 at 11:32 am

Benning should auction Kesler at the draft, and dont think twice about it. I think he is a great player, but he has had so many injuries — i would move him now while it is perceived that his value is high.

4. Jeff

June 1, 2014 at 11:33 am

Ross,

If Chevy wants to make the playoffs this year, he would be wise to buy out his goaltender, and sign a good one.

5. Jeff

June 1, 2014 at 11:38 am

I wonder if an Evander Kane deal is something that would interest FLA in a deal for #1.

6. Ross

June 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Jeff,
    I would love to see Pavlec bought out but even though we have the richest owner in the NHL, he doesn’t like to waste money so I doubt that happens. The Jets have alot of depth coming up in net. If Carolina can not find a trade partner for Ward I can see a possible trade of Ward for Pav because it will save Carolina money, but again only if they cant trade him somewhere else. As for Kane to Florida for number one, something else would have to be coming back to the Jets.

7. Jeff

June 1, 2014 at 1:24 pm

You think Evander Kane has more value than Ekblad?

8. Jeff

June 1, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Re: Jets owner. I saw him down at the dressing rooms at the Leafs/Jets final (leafs) game of the season. He is not exactly your flamboyant billionaire. Strange dude. A little eccentric.

You may be right, that even though he has $25b (or whatever it is now), that he wouldnt approve Chevy cutting Pavlec loose. Or maybe he doesnt even know how Pavlec is! I couldnt tell.

9. Ross

June 1, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I think in the long run Eqblad will be worth more and Florida will also want the Jets first round pick so you have to get more back if Kane is involved. I also think there is alot of interest in Kane ( not that I think there should be, i am not a fan!!) but some team might offer up 2-3 nhl players or nhl ready prospects. Columbus has a very deep prospect pool and a trade their could make alot of sense, also I could see Brayden Schenn and Akerson for Kane deal.

10. Jeff

June 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I agree, I’m not a big fan and i would also sell high on him if possible.

11. Stu

June 3, 2014 at 8:43 am

I’d like to see them not trade Kane unless they get something really good. The prospect of having a full season of Kane/Scheif/Wheeler is really promising. The team’s lacking scoring wingers so they aren’t going to move him without a solid roster player coming back in return. Could see them moving Buff though. Aren’t going to get much more for him than you are now and even though he’s playing well at forward, he’s probably playing 3rd line this season, which makes him a bit more expendable.