NHL Rumors I: Subban, Price, Budaj, and the Panthers Coaching Vacancy

• CP on SportsNet: Canadiens P.K. Subban.

“I’m sure everybody in hockey wants a long-term contract, but for me, it’s not just about that,” he said. “It’s about being part of a team that can win a championship, and I believe we have that in this dressing room. “When it comes to contract stuff, that’s why I hire my agent (Don Meehan). That’s why we pay him. That’s his job and I’ll let him do his job. I’ve done mine, and he’ll do his.”

Predators Shea Weber has a $7.8 million cap hit through 2020-21. Drew Doughty has a $7 million cap hit through 2018-19. Duncan Keith has a $5.5 million cap hit through 2020-21. Erik Karlsson has a $6.5 million cap hit through 2018-19.

• Jimmy Murphy: Canadiens Carey Price said if they would have made the Stanley Cup Final, he could have played.
  • Renaud Lavoie: Canadiens Peter Budaj: “I have one year left in my contract and I hope to play here.”
  • Harvey Fialkov: Red Wings assistant coach Bill Peters and Canadiens assistant Gerard Gallant are on the Panthers head coaching candidates list. The Panthers have also shown interest in Marc Crawford and Tom Renney.
  • Harvey Fialkov: Jimmy Murphy reports that Panthers GM Dale Tallon interviewed Bill Peters for the head coaching position.

1. BlowuptheB's

June 2, 2014 at 9:07 am

After watching the Bruins post season this year and especially during the Montreal series, it became excruciatingly painful watching my big bad Bruins not get the puck out of our own zone and not skate nearly fast enough when we needed to, and when we did… when it seemed like we had a great scoring chance either Iginla would hit the post or Marchand would miss the puck entirely… that being said I give all the credit to Montreal they did a great job containing us and really if we hadnt made that kinda fluky comeback in game 2 the series might not have seen a game 6 let alone game 7…

Bruins Offseason:

*We need to become faster off our wings.
    *We need a much faster/smoother breakout of our zone.
    *Not so worried on our back end which was plagued with injuries(Seidenberg, Mcquaid, ect.)
    *Although many teams look at the Bruins system and are trying to emulate what we have its time for us to do the same. In my opinion I think that LA/Anaheim/Chicago/Colorado/Montreal(yes Montreal) have great breakout and lean on their wingers in ways ive only ever seen from those teams… point is we can no longer be a one trick pony team in a league that is consistently changing.

So here are my opinions on what moves we should make this offseason to addrees our needs. Keep in mind some trades are made to facilitate others be it players or dumping salaries.

Trades:

To Edmonton:
    Marchand, Kelly, Campbell, Mcquaid, Bartkowski, and 1st RP 2014

To Boston:
    Eberle, Yakupov

To Winnipeg:
    Erikkson, Fraser, Svedberg(12-13 AHL GOY Award,), and 2nd RP 2014

To Boston:
    Kane

Resign:

Krug @ 14m=3.5 × 4 years
    Smith @14m=3.5 × 4 years
    Iginla @ 2.5m=2.5 × 1 year (plus performance bonuses)

Sign FA

Hemsky @ 11.25m=3.75 × 3 years
    Thomas @ 3m=1.5 × 2 years

Hopefully with a bit of re-tooling our younger, faster B’s.
    2014-2015 lineup

Iginla Krecji Lucic
    Hemsky Bergeron Eberle
    Kane Yakupov Smith
    Florek Soderberg Spooner

Chara Seidenberg
    Boychuk Hamilton
    Miller Krug

Rask
    Thomas

Thoughts????

2. Garth

June 2, 2014 at 9:24 am

As an oilers fan I believe there is Value with this, although I dont know if were willing to deal ebs right now, but a perron hall marchand line would be an upgrade, and being able to upgrade on our backend for years to come would be great aswell. Plus we keep the 3rd ovr and draft Reinhart or Bennett, If only we were smart 0_0. good post!

3. SaveSubbanQuick

June 2, 2014 at 9:28 am

Habs Trade Subban for Hall, eberle, NuG, and Yak… actually you can keep yak and put in the third overall pick and well call it even yes?

4. SaveSubbanQuick

June 2, 2014 at 9:32 am

@savesubban… your an idiot…

@blowupthebs… fair trade, like @garth I doubt ebs is available, would you consider perron instead?

I aslo like the peg trade seems, but svedberg is rfa? Is this sign and trade?

5. bill t

June 2, 2014 at 9:36 am

Subban signs in Florida

6. DucksSchmucks

June 2, 2014 at 9:38 am

Any news regarding spezza to ANA? B’s are paying a bit much for eberle and yakupov. But close value trade. And I like timmy toe back in black and gold! Dont like hemsky tho

7. MJ

June 2, 2014 at 9:43 am

Chicago trades Duncan Keith and Patrick Sharp for Subban on sign and trade deal… makes 8.5m per for next 7 season with the hawks!

8. Plztrademarchand

June 2, 2014 at 9:51 am

Finally someone post a reasonable scenario… Edmonton get a solid winger and two veteran bottom 6 centers that are great on the pk… and two dmen who are worthy of top 4 pairing spots but play on a very deep defensive boston team… and a first round pick. Boston gets a great winger in ebs and hopefully a fresh start for yak is what he needs. Not much of risks for either side however I think were over paying a bit in boston but I guess we do need to shed a bit of cap space…. like the kane trade aswell… not much of a risk Erikkson is a grwat player but doesnt fit into bostons scheme much and we get a great young forwrd that also might need a change of scenery.

9. Aaron

June 2, 2014 at 9:53 am

CHITOWN DECLINES!

10. BlowuptheB's

June 2, 2014 at 10:02 am

@savesubban. No Eberle stays…
    @MJ. Chicago Easily Declines…
    @bill t. Apparently Subbans agent is controlling his future so if the money is there its definitely possible.

11. Terry OReilly

June 2, 2014 at 10:14 am

Marchand is getting closer to my Boston P.I.M record every season… I want him gone… nobodys taking my penalty box, not even that peker head.

12. Andrew

June 2, 2014 at 11:47 am

@BlowuptheB’s:
    1. why would the B’s take yaks? they ship off talent like seguin and kessel because they are scoring skilled forwards with no defensive presence or will. yaks has an awful +/- that i cannot see the B’s being enticed by. i mean i like the idea of bringing in faster wingers but you cannot sacrifice what gets the Bs to where they are just because we seemed a little sluggish against teams like chicago and MTL. i think one or two additions not a 3 line retooling you are suggesting would be more beneficial
    2. tim thomas? really? you want him back when there are certainly better options down the pipeline in prov that can be called up.
    3. i cannot see someone trading for kane and then putting him on a 3rd line. that is too much talent to play minimal min. he is going to be a consistent 20-30 goal scorer that belongs in the top 6 of any system. i could see the Bs trading for kane in that scenario but that is the only one that is possible from what you have suggested.

lots of ideas floating around. some a little crazy. others a little more grounded. i def see the Bs making some moves but to what end i am not sure. I would like to see a bit more speed but without sacrificing the integrity of the Bs defensive systems

June 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Well I don’t know…when the Bruins traded Kessel he was a +23 (and 11 points in 11 playoff games that season) and oddly Seguin was also a +23 when they traded him.

The Bruins got lucky in a way that Brian Burke misjudged the talent of the Leafs at the time because they gave up one of the best players in the NHL (which Kessel undeniably is). If the Leafs had won five more games you’d be talking about Niederreiter or Connolly instead of Seguin and Sven Baertschi instead of Dougie Hamilton but I digress…

Good on Chiarelli for seeing what Burke did not: that the Leafs weren’t good enough to deny them a top pick. We can debate til we’re blue in the face as to who ‘won’ the deal but the fact is that both teams got top NHL talent.

The problem is that Boston didn’t keep theirs. The Leafs didn’t trade Seguin and Hamilton…they traded draft picks that turned into those players…like I said they could have turned into a lot less.

The Bruins traded Seguin just like they traded Kessel and the lack of a Seguin/Kessel type player is what ultimately cost them vs Montreal (also 10 goal posts). I honestly think that Seguin would have made all the difference for Boston in that series. They couldn’t handle Montreal’s speed when Montreal got the puck.

I think Chiarelli got robbed in that deal. Seguin is awesome and the pieces they got in return were not fair value.

The point is that Boston play a great defensive system and as Seguin and Kessel proved, it’s possible to be good offensively and defensively in the Bruins system even if you’re not known for it. I believe that if the Bruins were to get a guy like Kane it would help them in a big way; Kane’s defensive numbers are due in part to playing for a bad defensive team. On the Bruins he’d flourish.

The Bruins don’t need an overhaul. They’ve got more than enough talent to make a run next year…but adding one fast, young top 6 winger will help them out considerably.

14. BlowuptheB's

June 2, 2014 at 4:11 pm

@Andrew… I put trades on here not to realisticly beleave these trades will happen but to show what values players on the Bruins are worth… but i can dream right!
    The Marchand and extras trade for Eberle and Yaks is just that. What has Yakupov proved thus far in his career? Nothing… he has 1 year left on his contract and will then be an rfa, he has the potential to be an elite winger but needs the right place to build on the skillset he already has… I think on a Boston third line would be a great place for his 3rd Nhl season to start and who knows where hell be come playoff time. But the fact of the matter is he wont have better linemates come next season in Edmonton also id like to point out Boston has 4 lines and Claude Julian likes to use all of them. If he makes a jump to Boston next year expect Yaks to be a completely different player than the one he was last year.

Tim Thomas will forever be loved in Boston and who better to come back as backup as him… this signing happens if Svedberg was piece in an offseason trade or if he is not resigned… no way does subban make the jump this early in his career… Although if hes brought up right his potential is huge. So there isnt anyone else to have as backup… cant see Johnson staying can you?

@Chris I always like your input evaluation.
    What do you think about the Kane and also the Eberle trade Value for Value? Am I being fair?

Thoughts????

15. V

June 2, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Thank god most these guys are not bruins gm’s. Yakupov, really

June 3, 2014 at 9:06 am

IMO Edmonton probably doesn’t do it, while Winnipeg definitely doesn’t do that deal.

I really can’t see Edmonton moving both Yakupov and Eberle in the same deal. Too many parts involved, 5 NHL contracts going to Edmonton is probably more than they would like, considering they are at 16 now, while still having holes to try to fill. I can see something more along Marchand/Eberle as main pieces, then add picks/prospects to even it out. I really can’t gauge Marchand’s value right now, so I have no clue what they would be. Can’t see Kelly waiving his NTC to go to Edmonton to basically play the same role he plays on a legit playoff contender in Boston. Highly unlikely Yakupov is moved right now. His value is at its lowest. If they aren’t getting exactly what they want in return, I’m pretty sure they’ll happily keep him and hope that this year was only just a sophomore slump. They knew what they were getting when they drafted him, his defensive deficiencies didn’t just happen over night.

Eriksson’s concussions this season would be shooting up red flags, especially in a deal involving Kane. Even though Eriksson seems fully recovered, no way Chevy takes that risk when his job is basically at stake in any Kane deal he may make.

while there is an urgenency to get better, both Edmonton and Winnipeg aren’t exactly FA destinations so any trades involving their high profile players would pretty much need to return exactly what MacT and Chevy would want. They really can’t afford to be selling low on any of those players, whether individually or in a package, no matter what on or off ice problems they have.

17. John

June 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Watching the bruins series and then watching the Kings vs Blackhawks series. The bruins need to get faster not in their third and 4th but their second and first line. Their first line got mauled in the playoffs, their second line didn’t play that well either. The bruins best line was their third line, so I think they should keep erickson but shouldn’t resign Iginlia and should trade Marchand and Kelly. The bruins need faster wings on their first two lines, so keeping Iginlia makes no sense.