NHL News and Rumors: Penguins Hire Rutherford, Fire Bylsma
- Updated: June 6, 2014
The Penguins have hired former Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford to be their new GM and have fired head coach Dan Bylsma.
Some thoughts and rumors surrounding these moves:
- Luke DeCock: Rutherford may not have been interested in the long-term rebuilding of the Hurricanes, but the short-term fine-tuning of the Penguins had appeal.
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos said that Pierre McGuire wanted a five year deal from the Penguins but the Penguin wanted a  year deal like the Sabres did with Tim Murray.
- Josh Yohe: Rutherford said that he’ll likely be the GM for two or three years.
- Greg Wyshynski: Rutherford appears to the Penguins third choice behind Pat Brisson and Pierre McGuire.
- Shelly Anderson: Rutherford will add an analytics expert in the upcoming weeks.
- Dave Molinari: Rutherford said that they don’t necessarily have to have a head coach in place by the draft, but wants one by the start of free agency.
- George Richards: Have heard that Dan Bylsma believes the Panthers are waiting on him.
- William DePaoil: Bylsma wants the Panthers job.
- Josh Rimer: Bylsma now becomes the Panthers frontrunner.
- Joe Yerdon: The Canucks and Panthers are still looking for a coach. Bylsma makes it a little more interesting.
- Greg Brady: “Just low-rent stuff from the Pittsburgh Penguins…letting Dan Byslma twist for 21 days while he could’ve pursued other gigs. Brutal.”
- Nicholas Goss: “A little unprofessional of the Penguins to let Bylsma sit and wait for 21 days after Shero’s firing before being let go himself.”
← Previous Story NHL Rumors III: Jets, Canucks, Ducks and Maple Leafs