NHL Rumors II: Callahan, Stalock, Markov, Sobotka and Tikhonov
- Updated: 06/06/2014
- Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times: The Lightning and Ryan Callahan continue to talk about a contract extension. Talks have been good, but nothing is imminent. It was expected that he would test the open market, but with them continuing talks, it’s a good sign that he might want to stay. It’s unclear if he’s still looking for a six-year, $39 million deal. No state taxes could help the Lightning.
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: Contract talks between the Sharks and UFA goaltender Alex Stalock have started. Both sides are hoping to get a deal done before the draft at the end of the month. Stalock is expected battle Antti Niemi for the starting job, if Niemi returns.
“I really like it here. It’s the only organization I’ve been with, and they’ve been great to me since day one, and everything I’ve been through, it’s been handled great,” Stalock said on May 2. “I can only say good stuff.”
- Renaud Lavoie: Andrei Markov wants to finish his career in Montreal. Contract talks will resume in the next few days.
- Andy Strickland: Blues Vladimir Sobotka said that he’s fine after the injury he suffered at the World Championships. It’s likely that he and the Blues agree to a contract extension over the next few weeks.
- Sarah McLellan: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said that Viktor Tikhonov has one year left on his KHL deal that he can’t get out of.