NHL Rumors I: Rutherford, Penguins and Some Coaching Candidates
- Updated: June 7, 2014
- Chip Alexander: Penguins GM Jim Rutherford on when he stepped down from the Hurricanes, he knew he had to “either cut way back or look for a new challenge.” … “It didn’t take long for that new challenge to come along. I wasn’t planning to jump back in this quickly.”
- Chip Alexander: Rutherford said he’ll be in Pittsburgh for three years, but it could end up being a little longer: “If the right thing to do is continue, I’ll do that.”
- Josh Yohe: There were a couple team officials who were furious that there were reports that Pierre McGuire was offered the GM position a few days ago. They are in complete denial.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “So he’s not afraid to tackle some of the big dogs & MAF would be at the top of that list” … “Saying that, Rutherford’s always said to me when you’re replacing your coach or player, 1) make sure that’s your problem & 2) if you’re making that move that you’re getting someone who’s better.” … “What we don’t know is who is better [than Fleury] that’s available to Rutherford & the Penguins?”
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Some of the top candidates for the Penguins replacement of head coach Dan Bylsma: 1. Ulf Samuelsson – Rangers assistant 2. John Stevens – Kings assistant 3. Ron Wilson 4. Willie Desjardin – Texas Stars (AHL) 5. The field – they missed out on Barry Trotz. John Hynes in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton or Jacques Martin. Would love Mike Babcock, but he’s not going anywhere.
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Rutherford would like to have a coach in place before July 1st: “I have a short list of coaches in mind.”
“We’re going to have to have a coach who can make the proper adjustments during a game,” he said, “or during a certain period of time in the regular season or a playoff series.
“Because of the talent of the Penguins, the Penguins can play whatever way you want.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I don’t believe that Lemieux & Burkle believed that Rutherford was a viable candidate because they didn’t think he was out there”
- Dave Molinari: Rutherford on potential personnel changes: “I will say that I think our supporting cast has to be improved”