NHL Rumors III: Red Wings, Islanders, Capitals, Devils and Coyotes
- Updated: June 7, 2014
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: If Dan Boyle doesn’t sign with the Islanders, he could be an interesting addition for the Red Wings. The Wings are looking for a right-handed shot and would give their power play a boost. He may not be the top UFA defenseman (Matt Niskanen), but the cost would be lower.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings would like to re-sign Jonas Gustavsson, preferably to a one-year deal and have Petr Mrazek develop another season in the AHL, with him backing up Jimmy Howard in 2015-16.
- Daniel Friedman: Bob McKenzie on the Islanders being able to sign Dan Boyle: “I don’t think there’s a very good chance at all. I’d be surprised.”
- Adam Vingan of NBC Washington: (mailbag) It’s likely that Joel Ward play out the final year of his four year contract in Washington. Troy Brouwer has two year left on his deal at a $3.66 million cap hit could become available, but they would need to get a good return for him. It’s believed that Mikhail Grabovski is looking for a four or five year deal worth $5 million a season.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Devils Cory Schneider and the Devils have talked contract extension. Martin Brodeur has said he’ll test the free agent market and is leaning to signing with another team. Brodeur to Pierre LeBrun:
“I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m definitely going to be available July 1,” Brodeur said. “I want to play one more season and I want to see what’s out there.
“I’ve had a lot of good conversations with the Devils, but I’m not inclined at going back at this point. I just feel that with Schneids the organization has to move on. Me being around might be tough a little bit for them. I don’t completely put (returning) out of the question, but I don’t want to mess up the cards for the Devils.”
- Sarah McLellan: The Coyotes ownership, GM Don Maloney and Dave Tippet were likely meeting yesterday afternoon to go over their offseason plan. Internal budget should given to Maloney in the next week or two.