NHL Rumors II: Markov, Bruins, Selanne, Regier and Flames
- Updated: June 8, 2014
- Joe Yerdon of Pro Hockey Talk: from Richard Labbe of La Presse and Chantal Ledoux. Andrei Markov’s agent, Sergei Berezin
“We know what Habs management wants, and they know what Andrei wants,” Berezin said. “There are no surprises and I am optimistic in this case, the main reason being that I feel the team wishes to keep Andrei, and Andrei wants to remain with this team. That’s what’s important to understand. The rest are just details we need to work out.”
- Renaud Lavoie: Andrei Markov is not close to signing a deal with the Canadiens.
- Anthony Travalgia of the Boston Globe: Jarome Iginla hopes he’s able to remain with the Bruins.
“It’s a great group and I hope to be able to come back and I know it’s something that I hope that works and there’s a deal there for everyone. But I know the Bruins need to look at what they want to do and whatever, but yeah, I really enjoyed it and hope there’s something worked out there because I also think it’s a team that has a good of a shot as any to win and I think that next year the team can have that.”
The Bruins will have to decide if they want to bring back Shawn Thornton.
“I am hoping I am back. I don’t know,” Thornton said at breakup day. “I haven’t had my meetings yet, but if not I am still going to be in the community. I am still going to be here. This is where we live now. This is home. That stuff will not change. I’ll be here, trying to get back when I can. I love it here.”
The Bruins have six defenseman already under contract for next season and have trade deadline acquisitions in pending UFAs in Corey Potter and Andrej Meszaros. It wouldn’t be a surprise if either Matt Bartkowski or Torey Krug is with another team next season.
Backup goalie Chad Johnson could be let go as they have Niklas Svedberg and Malcolm Subban on the way.
- Daren Milard: Talked with Teemu Selanne who said he will talk to Jokerit of the KHL next week but thinks he’s done.
- Elliotte Friedman: The Coyotes are close to bringing in a new assistant GM for Don Maloney and it could be Darcy Regier.
- Sean Kelso: The Flames didn’t renew the contracts of their AHL coaches Troy Ward and Robbie Ftorek.