NHL Rumors I: Thornton, Richards, Jokinen, Brown and Bolland
- Updated: 06/11/2014
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: There is lots speculation regarding the Sharks and Joe Thornton. Thornton’s brother and agent, John, when asked if he’d want to continue playing where he wasn’t wanted:
“If he felt the fans didn’t want him in San Jose, he might re-think things.”
That statement could lead to a couple of interpretations:
1) The Thorntons feel that a significant majority of the fan base still sees Joe as part of the solution, not part of the problem (and by initial responses in Twitterville, that’s an accurate perception).
2) What the fan base thinks matters more to them at this point than what the boss might want.
- HabsLinks: Pierre McGuire told @HunterZThompson to not be surprised if Joe Thornton ended up in Chicago.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: If the Kings end up buying out Mike Richards, the Jets should be interested. They could offer a three-year, $4 million deal or more if they have too. Unlike many other coveted free agents, Richards may consider Winnipeg as his girlfriend is Winnipeg born and he has a summer home on the lake. The buyout would cost the Kings over $19 million.There haven’t been any talks between Olli Jokinen and the Jets.
“We haven’t heard a thing from the Jets,” said Jokinen’s agent, Ian Pulver. “I understood we would talk. But it hasn’t transpired. We’ll see where it goes. I don’t know Winnipeg’s plans.”
- Harvey Fialkov: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said that the best available free agents this year are the defensemen.
- Kevin Kurz: The Sharks are trying to re-sign pending UFA Mike Brown.
- Lance Hornby: Maple Leafs pending UFA Dave Bolland: “Re-hab is going well. I want to re-sign with the Leafs.”