NHL Rumors IX: Penguins, Canucks, Jets, Rangers and Sabres
- Updated: June 18, 2014
- Will DePaoli of Inside Pittsburgh Sports: The Penguins have six to seven coaching candidates, with four or five experienced coaches on their short list. Marc Crawford will interview today. They are scheduled to talk with Ron Wilson according to Darren Dreger. Wilson and Crawford are finalists for the Panthers position. Source saying they plan on talking with Red Wings assistants Tom Renny and Bill Peters. John Hynes interviewed on Monday. They’ve asked permission to speak with Kings John Stevens, but permission hasn’t been given. Stevens, along with Ulf Samuelsson are contenders for the Hurricanes coaching position. The Penguins are interested in Samuelsson as well.
- Will DePaoli: The Penguins don’t anticipate that they will interview Kings assistant coach John Stevens.
- Vancouver Canucks: Canucks GM Jim Benning on the possibility of moving up from the 6th overall pick: “We’re doing our due diligence, we’ll make calls now and closer to draft day.”
- Jim Matheson: “Jets wouldn’t even have Kane name out there if didn’t have angst about immaturity would they?”
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Friedman: “The Rangers are going to need the Cap space b/c of Stralman, Boyle and they’re going to have to deal with some of their C issues”
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Freidman: “One of the reasons Ehrhoff wasn’t traded is because, depending on when he retires, could be as much as a $10 m cap hit to Sabres”