NHL Rumors VI: Jets, Kings and Maple Leafs
- Updated: June 18, 2014
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: The Jets have missed the playoffs for the last seven seasons, so a change may be in order. Evander Kane’s name will be in the rumor mill leading up to next week’s draft. They would likely be offered futures for him, but the Jets may be thinking more about the now, which would make a trade unlikely. GM Kevin Cheveldayoff won’t make a move for the sake of making a move. The Jets have said they won’t be using a compliance buyout.
- The Fourth Period: Marian Gaborik and the Kings will start contract talks this week. The Kings are thought to want to re-sign Willie Mitchell if he decides not to retire. Robyn Regehr could retire. They are likely to move from Matt Greene, but if Regehr and/or Mitchell retire, they could bring him back. The Kings don’t plan on buying Mike Richards out.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “In the short term, the Leafs are looking at, is Bolland coming back or is he not coming back?” … “Leafs are certainly willing to walk away from Bolland [due to $ demands] but in saying that they see great value both on & off ice”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “The Leafs like the player and want to keep him but there are 3 things to consider 1) term 2) money & 3) quite possibly, his health” … “Is there certainty that that significant injury won’t hamper him moving forward? At the moment there isn’t certainty” … “When you’re dealing with a UFA, even though you have an invested interest in him, you have to make sure those 3 things make sense” … “So, in the days ahead, that’s what Nonis & Shanahan have to wrestle with. They’ll make an offer & it will start with a 4 not a 5″
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “If I’m looking at the Leafs right now, I think Nonis is looking to make moves” … “I think Nonis is gauging the market place and seeing what Kadri would fetch on the open market.” … “What would Franson fetch on the open market?” … “I think the Leafs are reluctant to move Gardiner, but they’re willing to listen to anything and everything on eveybody”
- James Mirtle: CapGeek estimates the Maple Leafs will have about $475,000 in overages from the bonuses given to Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner.
← Previous Story NHL Rumors V: Devils, Boyle, O’Reilly, Thornton, Brookbank and Regin