NHL Rumors II: Edmonton Oilers Edition

• Jason Gregor: Oilers Sam Gagner’s trade value is low after a tough season. Gregor can see him returning next season as a winger.
  • Jason Gregor: Oilers GM Craig MacTavish: “We have our own draft value chart based on historic records and evaluation of players drafted at that spot over time.”
  • Jason Gregor: Craig MacTavish: “We are actively involved in the trade market and hope we can do something going into the draft.” … “I’m hesitant to trade the #3 pick. We are prepared to move it for a player in their mid-20s at the oldest.”
  • Jason Gregor: Craig MacTavish: “The value of draft choices is never greater than at the draft, and their value is never lower than at the trade deadline.”
  • Jason Gregor: Craig MacTavish: “We are going to get access to free agents. Their agents know our cap position and situations of need. At the very least they will want to use us to drive up the price. That is my opinion. But also, because of the Alberta advantage, (taxes) and our potential.”
  • Jim Matheson: “Some people question possible oil pick of Draisaitl at No 3 if there. Why can’t he be as good as Galchenyuk (No. 3 habs ’12) is going to be? Can’t fathom Oilers giving up No. 3 pick. Are Wild giving up Jonas Brodin for him? I’d do that but they aren’t.”

June 19, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’m so sick of any Oiler rumour starting with Sam Gagner. Good on Gregor for pointing out what all 30 NHL GMs know and what 100% of hockey people outside of Edmonton know: Nobody is giving up anything of value for Gagner.

The trade route is going to be the only way to make quick meaningful adjustments to the roster but they’ll have to give to get: if they want a top pairing D man or a big physical top 6 forward they’re either going to have to give up one of their ‘core’ guys, the 3rd overall or Darnell Nurse or a combination of the above. Nobody is giving up premier quality players for Marincin or Petry.

Free agency will be tough considering why players usually choose to sign with a club. #1 is always dollars so if Mac T is willing to do what Nonis did with Clarkson and overpay a guy then he might land a top guy. The problem is that guys also factor in the city they’ll sign in as well as championship potential. Nothing against Edmonton or its people but it seems like most guys don’t want to play in Canada in general let alone one of the worst climates here. While the Oilers certainly have players with potential there is no guarantee they’ll end up being good enough to challenge LA, Chicago or St.Louis any time soon so they are not a championship calibre team.

Oiler fans don’t want to hear this but I think the best approach is patience. You think you’ve been waiting a long time (and you have) but most of those young players and prospects need at least 200-300 NHL games before you can give up on them. Trade a few pieces but I think you’ll see guys like Klefbom, Marincin and Schultz establish themselves over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

2. RobertNWN

June 19, 2014 at 10:58 am

Chris (the comment above me) is absolutely correct. Edmonton needs to be more realistic. Look at teams such as the St. Louis Blues, Chicago Black Hawks, and the L.A. Kings; they all have good mix of homegrown players, as well as some players that were either signed or traded for so they can be ready for the playoffs. Edmonton is not going to trade for Weber. If I am the gm of the Oilers, I am keeping the 3rd pick unless I think that I can trade up to the first pick and take Ekblad. Patience is key.

3. RobertNWN

June 19, 2014 at 10:58 am

4. shane berney

June 19, 2014 at 11:03 am

If over paying people is what is needed to bring players in, in the last decade the Kevin Lowe succession has definitely proved they like this approach. Tomas Vanek offers… Dustin Penner…. Over paying players they had already like Horcoff and Hemsky. Currently Gagner etc… The purse is always open here I would say.
    The only grey area for me here is whether MacT will follow that trend.

5. Johnathan

June 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I’m from and live here in Edmonton , and I’ll tell you first hand from going to games and watching , actually watching , and understanding the game , Chris does have some valid points , but you are regurgitating what eveyone else is saying , be patient the boys will learn and get better , it’s been 8 years of bad coaching , and bad drafting . The oilers are not the greatest organization for drafting , we go for the best players available as oppose to what we need . I would say we do need players like Hall , Ebbs , and Nuge , but the whole big 3 or try to be like the 80′s oilers , give me a break . Best example I can give you , 2003 NHL Draft the oilers traded the 17th pick to the devils for the 22nd and the 68th pick , and with that pick the oilers traded the devils drafted Zach Parise ! , Taylor Hall 2.0 !! , and with the 22nd pick the oilers drated Marc Antoine pouliot and with the 68th pick the oilers drafted Jean-francois Jacques , you all know who Zach praise is , and where are pouliot and Jacques now .

The oilers need grinders , who can chase the puck and good on the boards , we need to move gagner to the wing and get a legitimate second line center to play with perron and / or yakopov . The best move I believe is to trade for Lecavalier from the flyers for Victor Fasth , Roman Horak and a draft pick something along those lines and we could get him , the oilers can afford his contract . Instead of getting big name players or focusing on players like Weber or vanek , the oilers should try to get players like Lecavalier , Beniot Polliot who was awesome for the Rangers , Shawn Thornton , Ryan Callahan (most likely would never play here) , Tyson Barrie , and Jamie Mcginn , those are the options Mac t should and probably already is looking at

June 19, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I agree that the Oilers draft record after the first round has been probably the worst in the NHL. Even the Leafs managed to get guys like Kulemin, Reimer, Stralman, Gunnarson, Stalberg etc. in the later rounds. Superstars they are not but at least they’re NHLers.

I think the past few drafts cannot be judged yet. Anything from 2011 to 2014, all bets are off.

They are starting to have the right approach; putting guys like Marincin and Klefbom in the minors will be a good thing in the long run. They should have taken that approach with RNH in my mind.

In any case, they do need some grinders but I think once they get those guys on the back end in the NHL for a while you’ll see an improvement. Unfortunately defencemen take a long time to develop. Might be worth trading down in the draft if they can get something they need in return. Pretty decent draft in terms of good players in the first round but shallow in terms of pojected greatness