NHL Rumors III: Hurricanes, Red Wings, Yandle, Overpaying UFAs and Tocchet

• Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes GM Ron Francis has lot of decisions to go over and make this offseason.

“I don’t foresee a major makeover,” he said. “We’ve got some pretty good pieces in place. I know it’s frustrating we haven’t made the playoffs in five years. We finished just outside (the playoffs) by 10 points, which is one win a month (more) over the course of (the past) season.

“We may do some things but we feel we have a pretty good group here that can compete and win, so there’s no real need at this point to make a major overhaul, in my eyes.”

It’s unlikely the Hurricanes will use their compliance buyout.

“Historically we haven’t done that,” Francis said of a buyout. “We’ll discuss everything with our payroll and where our negotiations are and what we can and can’t do. But we don’t plan to do that at this point, no.”

The Hurricanes could look to trade Cam Ward. They could move up or down from their No. 7 draft slot if the offer is right.

• Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: St. James has been running a series of potential targets for the Red Wings. If the Wings were to go after Coyotes Keith Yandle, they would be looking for at least one of Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, Anthony Mantha and a high draft pick. The Coyotes could also ask for another player, such as Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm or Jakub Kindl.
  • Matt Larkin of The Hockey News: Top five unrestricted free agents who will get more money than they should: 1. Paul Stastny 2. Thomas Vanek 3. Ryan Miller 4. Matt Niskanen 5. Ryan Callahan
  • Tim Panaccio: Rick Tocchet said that he’s spoke with Penguins GM Jim Rutherford about a variety of roles with the team and that he’s interested.

1. Chewclacca

June 22, 2014 at 11:45 am

Jurco+Kindl+2015 first round for Keith Yandle?!?…

SOLD!!!!!

Where do I sign on Dutchy Hollands behalf before you come to your senses!.

What’s next? trade Franzen+Lashoff to Winnipeg for Byfuglien?..
    Smith+Eriksson to Montreal for Subban?!?..
    Why not? Anything is possible while we’re still in fantasy land.

2. Gary

June 22, 2014 at 11:55 am

Yeah pretty sure that Tatar + Kindl + Det 2014 1st round pick will not get you Keith Yandl.

3. TJ

June 22, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I think that this years first rounder (15th) + Tomas Jurco + Johan Franzen could possibly work

4. Alex

June 22, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I don’t want to lose any of those guys as a wings fan. We enough d prospects in GR to lose our secondary scoring (soon to be primary). I really think Jurco is going to be a Hossa type player. Tatar plays with so much heart and Gus I feel is untouchable. I also think Mantha is really close to untouchable, he has a lot of people excited.

5. Jon

June 22, 2014 at 4:30 pm

If that’s the asking price for Yandle, I’d expect the Flyers to come up with and offer a worthy package to the Coyotes. Hextall, please see if Yandle is availabe + price.

June 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Yandle? I think the FP is setting their sights a little high. While, I’d love his offense from the back end, his defensive side leaves much to be desired.

Disregarding what it would even take to land him(IMO one of Gus/Tatar and 1st just for Maloney to even listen, then go from there), I’d much rather someone whose more polished defensively that can still move the puck and chip in a goal here or there.

I’d also rather go after a righty either in FA or via trade. I’m not much of a stickler for handedness, but the Wings currently have all lefties, with only 4 righties in their whole organization. Sproul(who I have high hopes in becoming the right handed version of Yandle someday) and Marchenko both should get a shot, but unless injuries start piling up again, neither will likely see any significant time.

7. moe

June 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Rick Tocchet would be a good addition to either the coaching ranksalongwith Jacques Martin, or as a Player Development Rep. He has won the Cup with Pittsburgh and is a close friend of Lemieux.

8. debeezy

June 22, 2014 at 9:43 pm

As a Wings fan, I do not think giving up future scorers is worth Yandle. They have plenty of talent waiting to come up from Grand Rapids, and the current dmen continue to get better minus Quincey, whom will find his way out via free agency.

9. Jeff

June 22, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Callahan is a guy I would overpay, but on a shorter deal. Try to get him to sign for 5 yrs at a higher AAV.

10. Chewclacca

June 22, 2014 at 10:38 pm

If you call trading Jurco “trading away our future” then I think you place far too much importance in one prospect.
    I’d certainly trade Jurco before Nyquist, Tatar, or Mantha.

If it WAS Jurco+Kindl+Pick

Yandle immediately makes the Red Wings a better team. His offensive upside if coupled with a team that is wholly defensively responsible is money in the bank (particularly on the PP)., if it gets rid of Kindl, I’m all for it, plus this is the organisation who took the 171st overall pick and turned him into Pavel Datsyuk so dropping a first rounder is of little concern, it’ll be 4 years before it yields any big team ice time anyway.

Jurco may have Datsyukian impact one day, but Jarnkrok could have too, we traded him for Legwanf as a rental, but Legwands inclusion helped us limp into the playoffs… In truth I doubt we could have made it without him.. Success never comes without sacrifice.

Jurco could be the next Anze Kopitar, or the next Ville Leino, problem is, you don’t know yet.

Yandle is a far safer, and smarter investment.. And if it takes a depth prospect, a defenseman we don’t want, and a pick then so be it.

I want the cup… I want it every season they take the ice.. Next year will be no exception, Yandle would go a long way to having a shot at it.

11. hankbemis

June 22, 2014 at 11:21 pm

agreed, chewy. i’d trade jurco+kindl+1st or tatar+kindl+1st. even moreso i’d try to trade franzen+almquist+kindl+pick.

12. Alex

June 23, 2014 at 7:28 am

I’d trade Tatar before Jurco. Also, Yandle’s number were very similar to Kronwall’s, I’m not even looking at his horrendous +/-. The Wings are not Yandle away from the cup. He is not sharp enough defensively for us to get by with Howard in the net. But I agree with Hankbemis, if we could trade Franzen, Almquist, Kindl, and a first then do it.

June 23, 2014 at 8:44 am

So………..no deal to be made then, because there’s absolutely no way the Yotes would have any interest in Franzen as the main piece coming back in any potential deal for Yandle. He’s their most valuable trade chip(if he’s even on the table at all).

14. Hankbemis

June 23, 2014 at 11:57 am

Well I think you can say Phoenix (or Arizona) won’t take Franzen about as much as I can say they will. It’s not like he’s a player nobody wants. Last year: 41 points in 54 games, and a cap hit of under $4mil. I wouldn’t want him, but that doesn’t mean phoenizona doesn’t.

June 23, 2014 at 4:04 pm

They may actually want him, not sure why, but they may. Absolutely not at the expense of Yandle, though.

Regardless of whether a Yandle/Franzen is doable, right now, there’s about 0% chance that Yandle is on Hollands radar.

“We need more scoring, but lots of teams need that. Lots of teams are looking for a right-handed shooting defenseman. If we can find a top-four right-handed shooting defenseman by trade or free agency, we’d certainly like to add one.” Direct quote from Holland from interview on Mlive.com

16. hankbemis

June 23, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Yes, Holland says they want a top-four right-handed shooting defensemen. He didn’t say he doesn’t want a lefty. Everyone knows he wants a righty. By not showing interest in a lefty, it’s reasonable to think if he gets offered one in a trade, he’ll be maximizing his return, as the other GM has to convince Holland that he can ‘settle’ for a lefty D. Following the same logic, Holland would have to pay more for a right handed D in a trade.

It’s not like he showed interest in David Legwand. Plus Poile came out said he was not going to trade Legwand, then did. The GMs that talk too openly and too often end up hurting their return by doing so. That’s why most of these rumors are fakes – leaking your strategy to the public only deleverages you. It’s fun to look at though, and those GMs that don’t know what they’re doing are entertaining as well.